Chapter 106

I go back inside and find Addison sitting awfully close to Derek.

I feel anger build up in me but I brush it off and go into the kitchen.

"Do you need help with anything?" I ask Carolyn.

"Yes, dear. Could you cut these up please? Usually Nancy does but she seems a little occupied," she smiles.

"Of course," I walk over to the counter and start cutting up the carrots.

"So, how's pregnancy treating you? I know some women have it hard," Carolyn asks.

"It's not too bad. It was worse in the beginning but it's not so bad anymore," I say.

"Derek told me you thought you had a miscarriage," she says. I guess we're getting right into that.

"Yes, I did," I say smiling a bit to hide the uncomfortably.

"He said you almost called off the engagement?" She says.

"I didn't want to call it off completely. I just wasn't sure how to move on from it and pretending it didn't happen didn't feel right," I say.

"But when you went to the hospital they said the baby was fine?" She says. This is making me sound horrible.

"I wasn't faking it for the attention, I was just scared and that was the first thing my mind jumped to, if that's what you're thinking," I say quickly.

"Oh! No, that's not what I meant at all. Is that what it sounded like?" She asks. "No, but I just didn't want you to think that," I say.

"I don't. That's just a lot of pain to go through and then finding out it was nothing," she says.

"It was a lot," I say. "how did Derek take it when you told him you miscarried?" she asks.

"he seemed fine, but he was half asleep when I told him so I don't think he really took it all in at that moment," I say.

"what about the morning after?" she asks. "he didn't take it as bad as I did. It wasn't that he didn't care, I know he cares because he was thrilled when I told him I was pregnant; he just acted like he was fine because he could tell I clearly wasn't," I say.

"he didn't talk about it and how he felt about it?" she says. "no, the first day I was a wreck and the next day we went to the hospital and we found out that the baby was fine so we didn't need to worry anymore." I say.

"you didn't see him cry?" she asks. "No, he teared up when I told him but he didn't cry. Derek doesn't really show emotions, he just hides it I think," I say.

"I don't hide my emotions," we hear from behind. I turn around and see Derek standing by the doorway.

"I haven't seen you cry before," I say turning back to the carrots and start cutting them again.

"you've seen me cry before," he says as I hear him walk up behind me. "when?" I ask.

"when you broke up with me," he says, he's not standing right behind me.

"oh, right. then," I say. "why did you break up with him?" she asks. "I walked in on another girl kissing him," I say. she turns and looks at Derek shocked.

"she kissed me and Meredith walked in before I could push her off," he says in defense. "where were you?" she asks him.

"I was working at the station," he says. "well, as long as you weren't kissing her," she says. "I don't cheat," he says before kissing the back of my head.

"how many times have girls kissed you and I've not seen?" I ask. "none. you've seen them all," he says.

"all?" his mother asks. "there's only two that I've seen, one at the station and another at the coffee shop with Addison," I say.

"and that's all I can remember so that must be it," he says. "that better be it," I say. "it is," he says.

"did Addison kiss you while you two were in there?" I ask. "No, she got a little close but that's why I'm in here. she makes me uncomfortable," he says.

"she made you uncomfortable in high school too, but you still dated her," Carolyn says.

"she got nicer after," he says. "yea, she stopped bullying you after she found out we had money," his father says as he walks back into the house from outside.

"hide your stomach," Derek whispers in my ear. "it's too big for that," I say. "he's bound to find out anyways," I say.

I finish cutting the carrots and I put them in the bowl. "these ones too, dear," Carolyn says as she hands me a few celery sticks and I start cutting those too.

"your mother already told me, Derek. congratulations, Meredith," he smiles at me. "thank you," I say and he walks away.

"see, not that bad," I say. "yea, just wait until after," he says. "Derek, you're masking it sound like this kid is going to ruin everything. what's wrong with you?" I say. he keeps finding ways too make this pregnancy seem bad.

"right, I'm sorry," he says kissing my cheek. "he should be happy it's a boy though," he says.

"I'm past that stage, we still need a name," I say. "can't we weight until he's born?" Derek asks.

"we could but we can't even think of a name now, how are we going to do it when he's born. it'll take forever," I say.

"I have still have some names that Derek liked when he was little," Carolyn says. "Derek had names he liked when he was little? I thought only girls thought about doing that," I giggle.

"oh, they did. the girls made him do it and eventually he got really into it," she smiles. "you kept that book?" he whines.

"of course, I did. I'll be right back," she smiles before she leaves the room.

"it was a book?" I ask. "yes, at first it was just a few pages but she made it into a book," he groans as he presses his face into my neck.

"you better have been creative with those names," I say. "are their any names you like yet?" he asks.

"there's three that I really like," I say. "and what are those?" he asks. "Owen, Logan, and  Colton," I say.

"I know you really want the kid to look like me but what if he looks like you?" he asks. "then we have to find different names," I say.

"why can't we use those names if he looks like you?" he asks. "because if he looks like me then I want to wait until we have a boy that looks like you to use those names," I say.

"you are making this so much more complicated then it needs to be," he says. "it's what I do best," I say.