Changes 🌿 Steve

Song: Jaron - departure

I'm really still mad at endgame and the Russo's for killing Steve's character development, but I had to write this so I can move on, I mean it's been almost two years... but yeah I just watched endgame with a friend, I cried for the whole movie.

Imagine: you and Steve are a couple, when you catch him watching Peggy, you know what you'll have to do.

•••

He didn't mean to stare so long at Peggy through those blinds. It wasn't fair to his girlfriend standing a couple feet away.

But he couldn't help himself. He figured she'd get mad, after the whole thing, collecting toestonden and battling Thanos, he'd expected for her to get mad at him.

But to his surprise she didn't, didn't cuss him out for staring at another woman. Or the face he made when he did. All because Y/n understood him like nobody else.

Sure, they were a magnificent couple, to many referred as the powercouple. She was his perfect match, maybe too perfect. But that doesn't mean they were meant to be together in this form.

He loves her, he does. He can't find it in himself to end things with the woman he truly and deeply cares about, not knowing that she can see his desire isn't with her anymore. And she gets it.

She felt the same. She noticed she had started looking at Steve in another way, as more of a best friend. They didn't kiss or fondue anymore, they both felt out of it.

'Can I talk to you? Steve?' She asks peeking around the corner to see him zoned out in his chair.

He startled almost as he hears her call his name. He could tell from the tone that it was serious.

'Yeah of course...doll..'

The "doll" sounds so forced to her. But it also shows he's still trying. He's keeping himself from happiness just to not hurt her feelings, she appreciates it, especially from Steve, but she feels like there's no need.

They fell out of love... Its as simple as that.

'It's not easy to say this Steve... and I want you to be completely honest as I am... I... I love you Steve I do... but... I can see you're not happy here...'

'No its-'

'Stop... please... just wait for a moment...' she speaks and he nods sinking back into his chair.

'I don't blame you... because I've been feeling the same.. this isn't what it used to be... I appreciate that you're trying to spare me from heartbreak but truth is... you can't spare me from something that isn't there...so I want you to be happy...when you return the stones, live that life with Peggy...'

He stays silent, he would've guessed that she would be spiteful, angry, sad, envious, but she has a small smile on her face when she takes his hand.

'I love you... and I always will.. but not in that way, not anymore, it's grown into a friend level...'

Her words make him relax, it shoved a weight off of his shoulders he didn't even know he was carrying.

'I love you too y/n, and you're right... I never meant for this to happen...'

'But it did...' she replies softly, in only the way she can. 'And I don't want it to end in one of those long fights where we're both left miserable... I want us to end on a good note...'

'Me too...' he leans forward, his elbows on his knees as he takes both her hands in his now.

'We we're amazing... and I have so many fond memories...'

'I do too... it was on honour...'

'Steve Rogers... I officially break up with you...' she chuckles.

'Y/n Y/l/n, I officially break up with you...' he smiles back.

She reaches out to his cheek, gently laying her hand against it and making him look into her eyes. 'Now go live that life..'

•••

'Bring him back!'

'I'm trying!' Bruce argues back.

The situation is tense to say the least. Bruce is trying to get Steve back. Sam is arguing with him while Y/n and Bucky look at the man sitting by the lake.

'You told him to go didn't you?' Bucky grins and she chuckles beside him before crossing her arms.

'Yes I did...I will be fine... we will be fine...'

'So what exactly happened between you two? Doesn't seem like you're even remotely mad that he went to live with another woman..'

'That's because I'm not... we broke up yesterday... mutual dump... we just.. weren't that into each other on a relationship level...'

'You're okay?'

'I just want him to be happy... and to be completely honest... he didn't have the chance to live his life... I wanted to at least give him that... as a friend...' she explains happily.

'You're not like most women...'

'Took you this long to figure that out?' She smirks. 'I'm fine just the way it is right now...and who knows? Maybe I'll find my Prince Charming... maybe not...'

Bucky wraps an arm around her and she smiles, wrapping an arm around his waist. 'You're one of a kind..'

'I know....' Steve glances back at her with a bright smile on his face. 'I know...' she smiles back.