For Those Who Wish Me Dead Pt. 3 🌿 Mob!Steve AU

Song: VANO300 - running away

Outfit inspiration:

•••

Steve felt you tensing up the second those men stepped through the doors to this party. Your grip on him tightened and a shocked look spread on your face.

'You okay doll?'

'Are those your men?' You ask nervously, your eyes strained on the two.

'No, no they're not.. why?' Steve frowns at the sudden behaviour change. 'I need a second... I'm sorry...' you hurriedly say before bolting towards the bathroom.

'Y/n!' He yells after you but it's no use, the ringing in your ears overshadows every sound in your environment.

You lock the door behind you before you let yourself fall against it. Your breath comes out uneven. Flashes brighten your mind of those two men. It's like everything comes at you in full force. Those two men are not Steve's, which means that it's probably not Steve who murdered Tony. Right?

You should be happy now, given that You and Steve have been dating for a few weeks. You love him.

Then another thought comes to mind, what if you just come clean to him? Tell him you're working with the police but they obviously lied to you, maybe he will still want you? It's selfish to think that.

'Doll?' A knock on the door is the only sound that reaches you, 'doll are you in here?'

'Y-yeah...' you stutter with a hoarse voice. 'I'm in here...just give me a second...'

'I'll wait here...'

It frustrates how easy it is to fall in love with him when he's all sweet and charming like this. You don't get to think about it though because your panic attack is still in full swing. The lock suddenly moved a bit and you step back from the door, just in time to not get hit by it.

'Hey.. you okay?' His eyes are set on worry.

'He told me those weren't his men... and if he's telling the truth, that means you've been lying to me...' you tap your nails on the metal table.

The cops swallow visibly at your comment, the rage on your face tells them enough, Steve may be dangerous but you're even worse. They know that because they've read your track record.

'He's lying to you... those are indeed his men... and we have more evidence, all collected by the information you've given us.. you're doing amazing... and then the relationship? Bravo!'

'I'm glad you think this is a game officer McNeil...' you mutter under your breath. 'I want to see the evidence..'

Jenkins hands over the perfectly neat binder, you open it and let your eyes roam over all the different files, pictures and notes.