rival to lovers trope 🌿 Stephen Strange (request)

Song: Beyoncé - XO (I couldn't help myself)

Imagine; you and Stephen are rivals, but are you really?

just FYI, this relights my crush on this man again so thanks for that.. I mean LOOK AT THE GIF

•••

'Try me, Beyoncé' - "oh I will'

Y/n Y/l/n, a hardworking and devoted woman in the threshold of the Masters of the Mystic Arts. She's a little bit different from the others. She got the hang of it very easily and has grown more powerful over the years.

And then there's Stephen Strange. Labelled as an angry and impatient man child who just happens to have a PhD, learning to do the same things Y/n can in a span of a couple weeks.

They didn't get along from day one. Y/n believes he's not worth to teach everything to. He doesn't value the power as much as she does. While Stephen can't stand her being so incredibly sassy towards him.

Deep down they're the same though, they're both incredibly resourceful, talented and smart. She may not have a PhD like Stephen has, but she makes up for that with her knowledge of the world and it's many cultures, speaks many languages.

On top of that, they're both destined to lead the Masters of the Mystic Arts one day. Together. They just don't know that yet, the Ancient one likes to keep it that way, let them figure it out on their own.

Their relationship got better though, there were less snarky remarks or big arguments. She fears that it might be undone now, Kaecilius hurt her badly, she's still recovering, Stephen is not taking it well.

'So do you have plan Mister PhD?' She asks fighting off one of Kaecilius men. 'Or are you just going to stand there and have me protect you all the time? Because that's what I'm always doing...'

'I don't have a plan yet...'

'So we're all going to die is what you're saying.. great...'

'I won't let that happen...' Stephen replies as he glances her way. His look is serious and genuine. She trusts him on that.

'I'll hold you to that...'  a small smirk plays on her lips as she uses another one of her spells to protect a civilian.

'Wouldn't be like you if you didn't...'  Stephen smirks back at her.

Hurt travels through his body. His hand around yours tightening. He presses his lips against your knuckles. 'I'm sorry...' he whispers. 'I couldn't keep my promise.. aren't you going to hold me to that?' He asks in hopes of waking Y/n.

'You wouldn't let this one slide right? Just tell me "I told you so"... with actual words.. come on..' He breathes.

Again... nothing.

'You love her...' Wong speaks up behind him. He turns his head and lays y/n's hand down quickly. 'No...' he replies.

'That is a lie Stephen...'

'It won't matter now anyway... it's been weeks and still no sign-'

'Give it time-'

'You told me that already!' He interrupts Wong. 'You told me to give it time and I do! But it's not doing anything!'

'You still haven't learned... your healing took time and you have full function again... her healing will take time as well...'

He glances at her again. His eyes scanning for anything that signals she's awake and listening, it's useless really, there hasn't been any sign of life for weeks.