I've loved you, always 🌿 Steve (request)

Song: Halsey - Graveyard.

Imagine; you get dusted, but when Steve goes back to 2012 and encounters his old self, it makes him want to fight again.

•••

'Steve...' you breathe out, wobbling to him.

'Y/n!, hey hey...' he catches you in his arms before dropping to his knees.

Your skin is pale and it frightens Steve go the core, he's not about to lose you, he keeps convincing himself he won't lose the person he walked into love with.

He wouldn't call it falling in love, it wasn't a surprise for him, he always says he walked into love with you, eyes wide open. He chose you to love.

'What's happening?' You croak out, trying to catch your breath.

You feel something changing inside of you, it's such a weird feeling that you can't place it. So you desperately try to hold onto his suit while you feel his arms tighten around you in a comforting embrace.

'I feel strange...'

The moment those words leave your lips, he moves his eyes up and sees people disappearing into dust all around you two.

'No...no no you can't go...'

You on the other hand look at your legs, you see them slowly to turn into dust themselves. You reach up to cup his face and you make him look you in the eye.

'Its going to be okay...' you use most of your strength.

You see tears glancing over his eyes. As one rolls down, you wipe it away.

'I can't live without you...'

'I love you...don't forget.... tha....'

And just like that, you become another heap of dust on the ground while the rest of the team is left to pick up the pieces.

Steve stares down to his covered hands before yelling out of pure rage and despair. Never in his life has he felt more pain than this moment. He was supposed to prevent this.

Guilt sets in as the tears flow. He swore to protect you and he failed.

For five years those feelings of guilt and sorrow consumed him and made him into the man he is today.

He became a completely different character. Where he used to be full of life and ready to fight the bullies no matter what size, he is now a man without any motivation left to fight with.

He has tried for five years, but failed all over again when he found out Thanos had destroyed all the stones. No hope left, which also meant that all the power to fight the wrong slowly ebbed away.

Until there was that sixteen year old kid from Brooklyn again.

'Steve... we have a chance now...'

'We had a chance five years ago, and then another soon after that and we both failed...' Steve slumps back into his chair while Natasha sighs.

'It took so much to convince Tony to help us, and now you're backing out?'

'Exactly..' Steve's reply is brief, a sign that she should stop trying with him, but she won't.

'And what would y/n day about this?'

That hurts Steve right in the gut, he hasn't heard or spoken that name out loud in years.

'Well she's not here is she?!' His sudden outburst doesn't faze Natasha one bit,  she knows you're a sensitive subject, always have been.