🌿 World diabetes day 🌿

So as some of you may know already, I have diabetes type 1. So this day means quite a lot to me.

A lot of people don't know that living with diabetes can be quite the struggle. They can also be very ignorant.

Ive has situations where people would ask me what I like to drink and I'd say anything light or I guess "diet" in America and then they get the drinks with sugar and then have the audacity to say "oh but you can drink that it's no biggie"

NO IT IS A BIGGIE.

It doesn't only affect just my life but also my writing, because I have an off day, I sometimes get migraines and stuff so writing then is a no go. Also I have a low blood sugar it's like reading stuff from a toddler.

I also act like a toddler when I have a low blood sugar, but that aside, people like me hear stuff like

"Why does she get to bring food in and I don't?" Or "Oh ShE iS dOiNg DrUgS"

All the time.

"You just need to eat healthy and lose weight, then it will go away.."

No it doesn't.. not with type 1. I will probably have it all my life, not if there's going to be something that will end it, which I don't think will happen anytime soon.

I wanted to rant about especially now with Covid and people still not wearing masks and then call me a sheep for wearing one.

If I get COVID, let's be honest the chances of me actually surviving are lower than people with no chronic illness. That's why I don't take a lot of chances with getting it, I always sanitise, even before COVID. And I wear a fucking mask because people are so ignorant here... honestly if I would punch people not wearing one I'd probably be in jail right now..

But back to the diabetes.

I'm not saying it's the worst illness to have but it's one that can do a lot of damage on your mental state.

It happened to me, I was very stupid and struggled with insuline and keeping balance for a long time, I was scared that if I would give myself too much insuline at night that I wouldn't wake up, so my blood sugar was through the roof every single night.

Even though I react very strongly to low sugar, like I still wake up when I go too low. I was really scared.

I'm also scared to sleep over at friends that I don't know that long, because it can happen that I have to eat in the middle of the night. Now that may not seem so bad but I hate to bother people. So waking them up so they can help me is something I hate. It hasn't happened too often but still, I can overthink about it quite a lot.

Its not just a pain in the ass, it causes very much anxiety and insecurity.

I can't wear clothes without pockets or I'd have to stuff my device in between my nonexistent boobs (😂) I always have to have it on me. It's water-resistant but to an extend.

The IV sometimes hurt, I have spots all over because my body reacts very quickly to the needle...

Bottom line is that it's not the worst to have but it would be nice if more people understood what it's like to have this.

Sugar can be your lifesaver but also your killer.

The medicine you need can also kill you if given too much or too little. The medicine can save you but you need the right dosis.

It's expensive, don't kid yourself by thinking healthcare covers everything.. (I'm very grateful that I get a lot of care for free here in the Netherlands but it costs me some extra money every month, because insuline here is also not free)

But enough with the sadness about if because it does have an upside (you need to stay positive)

1. I can bring in free food into movie theatres and concerts.

2. I always have food so if I'm with u and you're hungry, I'm your vending machine.

3. People can't throw me in pools or lakes because it will cost them about 4.000 euros to cover the costs of getting a new device.

4. If I have a low blood sugar I can eat whatever I want. Usually I'm also very hungry so everything goes, I don't really taste it because I eat too damn fast for my own good.

5. I get to keep my phone around because I check my blood sugar with an app.

6. And the best of all, I cosplay as Tony Stark/Iron Man every night because that light comes through my shirt (because I have it clipped to my bra at night).

7. I am a walking flashlight, can't see shit at night? Tap my button and BOOM, you have a flashlight.

8.  Because I have a small IV I'll always have a cord to choke people who joke about it with... For legal reasons... that's a joke.

But enough about me, I'm curious if any of you readers have diabetes type 1, or 2. And how is it for you to have and what type of things does your country have to help with diabetes?

Let me know in the comments, or if you just want to comment.. it's very much appreciated!

You know what, I'll make a game out of it, best comment wins!

Love y'all!

Maybe I'll even write an imagine to honour everyone battling this..