For Those Who Wish Me Dead (2) 🌿 Mob!Steve AU

Song: Nat King Cole - smile.

'Your really thought I wouldn't find out?' Steve's eyes bore into yours as he stalks closer to you.

His hand flexes against the gun which makes you swallow the lump in your throat. This is it, he's going to kill you.

'You're going to end up like your brother...' the cold barrel of the gun gets placed against your head. 'I don't do well with people betraying me... I thought I didn't have to warn you..'

He kneels in front of you, pushing the gun into your skin. You hiss at the contact. 'I want to hear you beg for your life...' The sudden kind and flirty demeanour gone completely and is replaced with a rough darkness.

You want to speak, to yell that you had every right because He killed Tony, but you can't. There's no sound coming out.

'Cat got your tongue now?' His fingers move to the trigger.

Your eyes squeeze shut. Your breath catches in your throat before you hear the gunshot.

You shoot upright in the bed, your lungs not able to fully take in all the oxygen it needs yet. Your chest heaves while you wipe away the cold sweat on your face.

'Just.. a nightmare..' you sigh, trying to collect yourself.

You slide out of bed, you walk up to the hallway, not caring that you're wearing just a shirt and panties. The guys are getting used to you walking around the large house at night. Especially Steve, who you run into regularly while the sun is still down.

Ever since that first encounter at the ballroom, Steve was determined to keep tabs on you, that included moving you into his house. Not that you minded that. It was a nice house, and you hate to admit it but, you were lonely in your own apartment.

You're sunken deep in thought as you walk to the kitchen, maybe some water will help the burning in your throat.

A hiss catches you off guard, it's followed by a series of stuff getting knocked over and a man grumbling curse words under his breath. It's Steve, no doubt.

'Hey...' you lean against the fridge, eyeing him carefully.

'Nightmare?' He asks. You can't believe how worried he is for you when he's the one having trouble cleaning himself up.

'Same old story..' you sigh pushing yourself from the fridge again and moving closer to him.

He again tries to clean the open cuts on his hands but fails. The pain is too much.

Without another word his hands are taken in your care. Why you do it you don't even know. Maybe it's the lack of sleep and the need to be close to someone, but you take care of his hands, you don't realise it goes much deeper than that.

Another thing you hate to admit. This man was the total opposite of what you expected, and he managed to fill a little bit of that void.

Every party you go to together, every talk you two have, let it be in the middle of the night or during a lunch break, it confuses you, but it also gives you this happy feeling again. The one you almost forget what it felt like. He brings that right back even if it's for a couple moments.

It also helps that you find more evidence that proves his point. The point that he is indeed not the killer. You can't be too sure however, there's still a lot of fingers pointing at Steve.

'Do I even want to know how you got those?' You wrap up your neatly cleaned work, Steve finally takes a deep breath to calm himself.

'We caught some guys trying to rid some evidence proving it wasn't me who killed your brother... so I roughed them up a little..' he explains and you just nod in response.

'But enough about me... what about your nightmare? What was it about?'

'I Uhm... uh I.. Uhm..' you stutter, quick! Think of a lie! 'I Uhm... I got a flashback.. sort of.. I was with my brother again...'

You aren't completely lying, your first nightmare was about him. You conveniently leave out the second one where Steve finds out you've been snitching to the cops all this time.

'Oh.. sorry I didn't mean to...fuck...' he curses. 'I didn't mean to make it worse...'

'Steve...' you softly touch his arm. 'It's okay..'

He steps closer to you, you have to tilt your head to look up at him. Was he always this handsome? Focus Y/n! He killed Tony! Focus!

You retrieve your hand immediately, it puts a frown on Steve's face. 'Why do you do that?'

'Do what?' You nervously ask.

'The second you get close to me you push yourself away... why?'

Because I'm falling for you and I can't because you murdered my brother and tried to murder me.

Because I'm betraying young snitching to the cops, while I'm falling in love with you.

Two reasons at the top of your head, both of those you're unable to use as a proper answer because both of those will either break his heart or he will get so mad that he will kill you. Great.

'... is it about me? I mean if you want me to fuck off, I will...' He asks.

God those puppy dog eyes will be the death of you, quite literally. It's one thing to double cross Steve's business, it's a whole other story if you double cross his feelings. But then is it really double crossing feelings if they're legit from both sides?

'That's.. that's not it Steve...'

'Or... is it the way I dance with you?' He takes your hand and pulls you towards him making a squeal come out of you.

The dancing? That is definitely not it either because this man knows how to charm a lady.

He sways you a little making you chuckle out. His arm snakes around your waist and pulls you even closer. 'C'mon Y/n... what's stopping you?'

'Steve I...' you tilt your head to look up at him.

'Then tell me to fuck off...' He pleads. 'Tell me to stay away from you, to keep this purely business...and I will..'

'I...' you breathe, his lips inch closer to yours and you'd be lying if you said you didn't want this. 'Steve...'

You lean in, crashing your lips to his. He turns you and gently pushes you against the kitchen island. Your arms wrap around his shoulders while his hands move to your hips.

'I like you... Y/n... I like you a lot...'

'I like you too Steve...' you lie, but perhaps it won't be a lie for long.

The way he's kissing you know convinces you it couldn't possibly be him, but if that thought becomes reality, what happens between you and the police? And you and Steve?