For Those Who Wish Me Dead pt. 4 🌿 Mob!Steve AU

Song: Doja Cat - been like this.

Hey won't you look at that! A filler chapter! Again... I will continue all those series in my next book! But for now I'll make this a filler chapter!.

'Are you serious?!' Bucky throws his hands up in defeat before bringing his fingers up to his nose to pinch the bridge of it.

'I'm with Bucky on this one.. Steve, you killed people for less!' Sam argues.

'That sonofabitch...' Bucky mutters when he sees the look Steve gives Sam. Bucky can't help but smile a little at his friends secret. 'You fell in love with her, didn't you? After I specifically told you not to...'

'It's not exactly something I can control Buck... and she came to me with this, she could've kept the lie going but she came clean... yeah she did it behind my back, and yes I probably shouldn't trust her anymore...but she's also useful when it comes to finding the people that did kill Tony...'

'And you love her...' Sam adds, making Steve roll his eyes.

'Yes.. and that.. I get why she did it.. Tony was her only family, she didn't know who to trust... you know that too..'

'I can't believe you.. our Steve, the big bad boss, folds for a girl...' Bucky chuckles slightly in disbelieve.

'The fact that you trust her is enough for now, but that doesn't mean I will trust her...' Sam tells Steve.

•••

Stopping at a gasstation was the last thing Steve wanted to do on the way to this already anxiety inducing party, but of course someone forgot to fill up his car before they drive off.

He didn't notice it until the small figure lit up on the dashboard. Bucky had pointed it out because Steve was too distracted by everything else.

He was irritated after He mentioned it, he wasn't trying to take out all his frustration on you, but that was exactly what ended up happening.

Now you're just sulking in your seat while he fills up the tank again. You're trying to keep your composure, it's not like you're not equally as nervous for this night. You've been on the verge of bursting in tears ever since this morning. 

You're usually not this sensitive, but the tone he used was one that always made you freeze in place with tears in your eyes. It was the same tone your father used to use, right before he was about to give you something to cry about. 

Steve knows he fucked up when he noticed you moved further to the window instead of sitting next to him like you usually do. He also doesn't miss the single tear sliding down your cheek.

He shouldn't have snapped like that, you've had enough on your plate already this week. Not with him though; you two were the only thing going right, despite the betrayal.

No, the others despised you for it, Bucky and Sam included. He was the only one kind to you this week, and now even he snapped at you.

He just has a lot on his mind, with the party, keeping you safe, trying to find out who did kill Tony and then this?

'Babe-'

'Don't...' you cut him off, your face hardening in an angry glare.

Sam's face softens upon seeing your state as well. He also can't miss Steve's immediate guilt. Steve even tries to take your hand in his but you pull it away the second he tries. He feels guilty himself, he really gave you a hard time this week, Bucky included, it's safe to say it isn't really helping.

Steve has a plan however, he is far from done trying to make it up to you, you know that, but you're really not in the mood for any of it.

Steve gets out of the car and walks around it. He comes up in your window and knocks. You ignore it while crossing your arms. Like you mentioned before, you're not in the mood.

He knocks again, you refuse to roll down the window, but apparently Sam, the puppy he is, does what Steve wants and rolls the window down.

Your state only hardens when you can sense him next to you.

'Hey.. how are you doing?' He starts, he internally cringes, obviously you're not doing so great!

'I know you've probably got a very handsome boyfriend but uh... I bet you, I can treat you better..' He's adorable, you'll give him that, but he has to try a lot harder than this to get you smiling again.

'Highly doubt that..'

'I uh, I think your boyfriend is very stupid, he yelled at you..he shouldn't do that.. he's probably sorry too..'

'What do you want from me?' You sigh before turning to meet his gaze.

'I want your number... I mean I see nobody sitting next to you... sucker already left, why don't you give me a chance?' He tries and this time it earns him a small smile.

'I wouldn't recommend that... my man is crazy... he will probably kill you...' you reply earning a smile from Steve in return.

'You'd be worth it..' he takes your chin between his fingers and pulls you in for a soft kiss.

The window suddenly rolls up, it separates you and Steve frowns before glaring at Sam through the now closed window.

'That's enough PDA for me.. and also I'm sorry..'

'I get the attitude from you and Bucky... it's fine.. I did betray your trust..' you say to him before the car door opens again.

Steve slides in and immediately your hands link again. 'I'm really sorry...'

'You saved yourself from an eternal sulking on my part...just.. don't do it again...'

'I won't... I'm just stressed.. they won't be quiet and gentle tonight..'

You lay your head on his shoulder. 'I know.. But if we can act good enough for them to not suspect anything, then we will end up laughing in their faces..'

The passenger seat gets occupied by Bucky again, who just gives Sam a glare. 'Why did you open that window, I had to witness that from the front row!'

'Steve loved that girl and we've been assholes the entire week... she doesn't deserve all of this shit... and he needed to fix it.. so I helped a little...'

'Softie...' Bucky groans.

'Says the man who rented out one of the fanciest restaurants to celebrate his anniversary..' you fire back.

Bucky turns his head towards you. 'How do you even know that?'

'Natasha wouldn't shut up about it...'

He turns his head back without another word. She spots the small smirk however.

'Can we go now? We have a party to completely ruin..' Sam cuts in.