Cheater - Roman x Virgil

Oh, a OneShot about cheating

Before you read who d'you think cheated? Roman or Virgil?

My bet is on Roman

High school AU

Roman slowly trudged down the empty school hallway, eyes glued to the murky grey floor. It was unusual for Roman to be late to school but today was different, today he was going to see his boyfriend Virgil. This being the first time seeing each other after the...incident.

Roman opened the door without knocking, stopping the teacher from speaking, all eyes averting to him.

"S-sorry I'm late" he croaked, voice weak. "Hey look!" A boy Roman knew to be one of the popular bullies piped up. "It's the cheater!" Roman flinched, ducking his head down and situating himself in his usual seat - next to Virgil.

"Virgil, come sit with us! Wouldn't want to sit next to that pile of trash" Roman grabbed his pen from his bag, letting it fall to the floor without a care. Virgil didn't reply to the student, instead he glanced at Roman with a frown and sad eyes, watching his boyfriend stare at his book with no emotion.

It made him sad to think of all the emotion Romans face used to hold...

The teacher settled down the class and carried on with the work, but they still let a few students insult Roman throughout the lesson.

The school they went to didn't tolerate cheating at all - it was like a crime, and if anyone did it they would be harassed for the rest of their school life.

But there was more to what happened with Roman and virgil then what everyone else knows.

The lesson passed, a few students shoving Roman to the ground once the bell rung, leaving Virgil and Roman alone. 

"Roman-"

"Leave me alone" Roman snapped, standing up and dusting himself off. "I regret ever doing what I did" he muttered, grabbing his books and glaring at Virgil who faltered.

He didn't carry on, only left it at that, leaving a heart broken Virgil behind.

During the day Roman was insulted, shoved, beaten, had his books dumped in the bin, trapped in a locker, all of the cliché bully moves, but he got it from everyone...even teachers.

Like I said, cheating was a crime worst than murder in that school.

Roman could barely live, people say school is hell but for Roman it was ten times worse...

Finally, the last bell rang out, students left the classroom chattering away to their friends but none forgetting to call Roman names until he nearly cried.

A hand rested on Romans arm, flinching back his eyes darted to Virgils, instantly he straightened up, eyes narrowing into a hate filled glare.

"What?"

"Roman please..." Virgil begged, is voice quiet and pleading.

"Please what?"

Virgil hesitated, not realising that hesitance led to him losing Roman forever...

Grabbing his bag swiftly Roman stormed to the door, not turning around as he spoke one last time to Virgil...his boyfriend.

"Don't talk to me again"

Once arriving home Roman collapsed into his Dads arms, sobbing and sobbing until his throat was raw and his eyes couldn't produce more tears.

"I-I-I want to l-leave" Roman whimpered, clinging to his Dad like he was his lifeline. "I wa-want to move" he carried on, his Dad rubbing his back softly.

"Roman...I'm sorry, only a few more days..."

Roman let out another heartbreaking sob, "please, d-Dad....don't make me go back"

His Dad frowned, kissing his head. "Maybe it's time-"

"No" Roman sniffled, shaking his head. "I-I still love him...no one would believe me"

"Okay, Roman, but you know that school. If they find out you didn't go for no reason-"

"There's p-plenty or reasons!" He exploded, sobbing again.

"I know I know...but unless you're nearly dying they will sue and...I can't go through that right now"

Roman sniffled, nodding his head slowly. "F-fine..." he muttered, still in his Dads loving embrace.

"Thank you, Ro, I love you"

"Love you, too"

It was a mistake sending Roman back to school for the rest of the week, each day brought more abuse, physical and mental, by Friday Roman couldn't take it.

No one saw him that day.

Virgil was the most worried, he texted and texted, not wanting to imagine what Roman might've done...

After school Virgil raced down the street to Romans house, knocking quickly. The door opened, revealing his Dad. Upon seeing Virgil his eyes filled with pure anger and rage. "Why are you here?" He asked, voice scaring Virgil to the core.

"I..is...Roman okay?"

"Mentally? No, physically?...mostly" Virgil felt his heart drop. "Because of that stupid school Roman nearly died today...god, do you know how that feels? Seeing your sons unconscious body in the bathroom?" He trailed off, shaking his head.

"Can I see him-?"

"No" he replied in a voice that brook no argument. "He said he never wanted to see you again" he added, jaw clenching.

Virgil nodded, tears springing in his eyes.

"You ruined his life"

Virgil ducked his head down, noticing the boxes in the house behind Romans Dad. This really is the last time he'd ever see Romans Dad, yesterday being the last time he ever saw the boy he loves even after the cheating.

"Leave, never come back"

Nodding Virgil turned around and walked home, breaking down in his bedroom.

The next day Roman and his Dad had moved state, Roman staring his new life in the new school, making friends with two boys called Logan and Patton very quickly.

Virgil never got over Roman, only finally loving someone else when he turned twenty two.

But still...no one in that school never knew

That Roman didn't cheat

Virgil did.

Roman loved Virgil so much he didn't want him to go through what the school would throw at him so he took the blame, said he cheated instead.

Virgil never had the guts to say it was him.