With You - Patton x Virgil

The gif is for everyone who doesn't use the white background ^

"We'll be there soon, Patton!" Roman smiled into the phone, twisting a loose thread between his fingers as he did. Humming to a few things Patton replied with, they both said their goodbyes and hung up. Logan fixed his tie around his neck, staring intently at their roommate who looked terrified.

"Virgil, what have I told you about making up scenarios in your mind?" Logan chided, fixing his hair in the hallway mirror. Said man let out a sigh, pulling his long sleeves over his hand, nervous habit he never got out of. Roman smiled at his friend, patting his shoulder reassuringly.

"You never know, Verge! It's better out than in" the older man reminded, turning off the upstairs lights. Sighing, Virgil finally stood up from the couch, staring at the ground and focusing on the thump thump thump in his chest. Logan paused in front of the worried Virgil, waiting until the anxious man met his eyes.

"It is not unknown I am terrible with emotions, but I know you need reassuring, so...you and Patton are close, he would never hurt you, on the other hand too much reassurance can bring up hope, and as much as that is good, it will only hurt you more if this does not go well. But, I am sure you know this already, correct?" Logan explained, raising his eyebrow. Virgil stuttered, not in the right state to understand Logan's rambles.

"All I am saying is" Logan sighed, "this can go either way, and know if it goes wrong me and Roman are here for you" Virgil nodded slowly, thanking him quietly. Roman watched from the doorway, pleased by Logan's words.

"Patton!" Roman yelled excitedly, stumbling out of Logan's car and rushing up to the front door. While Roman, Logan and Virgil shared an apartment Patton had a house of his own he lived in ever since he moved out from his parents, but he wasn't always alone.

"Roman!" Patton whipped open the door, letting his close friend twirl him around in a tight hug. "How are you, my favourite ball of sunshine!" Patton giggled, wrapping his arms and legs around him. "I'm good! What about you guys?"

"Oh, the usual" Roman smiled, finally letting him drop to the ground to meet the others.

"Hiiiiiiii Logan!" Patton pulled him into a short hug, even if Logan stated he doesn't like hugs. The smarter man sighed, awkwardly patting the back of his cardigan he persisted to wear around his shoulders.

It is impractical, but Logan had admitted it would be weird to see him without it.

"And last but not least, Vergie!" Patton giggled, grinning at Virgil. He loves hugs, but respected Virgils boundaries, knowing the usually more...anxious man preferred to not be pulled into an unsuspected hug, but by now if you're not used to Pattons hugs you haven't been his friend long enough.

"How're you? Anything bothering you at all?" He asked kindly after Roman and Logan made themselves comfortable in the living room, waiting with Virgil in the foyer.

He shrugged, pulling his jacket closer. "I'm fine" he murmured, tensing at the sudden warm hand that softly rubbed his foundation covered cheek. "Tell me later, okay?" Patton whispered, pressing a gentle kiss to his forehead that sent his heart on a frenzy.

Patton waited until Virgil snapped from his revere, the two heading to the room with the others. As planned, they hung out for most of the day, playing video games and eating snacks until they had to leave. "Before we go...Virgil?" Roman questioned, watching the man tense up, placing the controller on the packet filled coffee table.

"Yeah?" He replied dumbly, pretending he had no idea what was going on. "C'mon! You know the deal" Roman stared at him expectedly, making him sigh. "What's...going on?" Patton asked curiously, glancing between the two.

"He-"

"I'll say" Virgil snapped, Roman held up his hand in defence, gesturing for him to continue. Sighing, Virgil turned to Patton on the couch, staring directly down at his hands that played with his sleeves nervously. "I uh..." he cleared his throat, suddenly remembering how much he hated Roman. Not really but...oh, how he hated the situation!

"You can tell me, Virgil" Patton smiled warmly, taking one of his hands in his own.

Breathing in deeply to calm his nerves, Virgil met Pattons sincere eyes and let his heart do the talking. "I like you..." he blurted, scanning Pattons face that went blank. Of course the bubbly man knew what he meant, which terrified Virgil as he watched the expressions contort, none what you would want to see.

"Oh..." Patton whispered, pulling his hand away from Virgils. Helplessly, Virgil watched Patton stand and leave, closing the door after.

The room fell silent, thick with tension.

"Virgil...-"

"I knew I shouldn't of told him" Virgil cried, hiding his face in his hands. Logan stared at the doorway, face set with determination as he left to find Patton, leaving Roman to sit beside Virgil and console the poor man.

"Patton?" Logan knocked on his bedroom door, hearing faint sniffles from inside. "Patton, open-..." suddenly remembering the lack of locks, he walked in, staring at Patton who faced the window. "Please leave me alone" Patton whispered brokenly, cleaning his tear filled eyes. Logan didn't respond, only closed the door and took a few steps closer, to show he was still here.

"Patton, listen" he began, ready to try and form sentences that would be best in this situation and hopefully not make it worse. "What happened those years ago...I cannot say how sorry I am, he was a good man, a very good man, loved by all. But you must understand death is apart of life, for some sooner than later, unfortunately...it took your boyfriend sooner" as he spoke, Logan neared the man who still hadn't turned around.

"I know you truly loved him, as he did towards you, and you missing him is perfectly justified, but if you carry on this...no-relationship rule, it will hurt you more. By moving on, you are not leaving him behind, or cheating, or betraying him in anyway - you are merely...finding happiness once more, something he told you to do, remember?" Pattons crying stopped, but he tensed under the hand Logan placed on his shoulder.

"We all miss him, but I can assure you once you find happiness again, it will give him happiness too"

For a few silent seconds, Logan thought it was a lost cause, until Patton spun around and collapsed into Logan, sobbing heavily. The smarter man hugged him back just as tight, keeping silent for his earlier words to sink in properly. Finally, he said, "you can love again, Patton. Do not be afraid to be happy"

They pulled apart, this time...a smile blooming on Pattons face. "Is he still here?" He whispered, grinning more when Logan nodded. The crying man rushed back downstairs, finding Virgil and Roman standing in the hallway, silently waiting for Logan.

"Patton-"

"I like you too!" He cried, twirling Virgil around much like Roman had done to him this morning. Virgil froze in his arms, glancing at Logan to answer the unasked question but all he did was smile and watch.

"I can be happy" Patton whispered, pulling back to stare into Virgils eyes.

"With you"