Orphans - Roman & Virgil & Logan & Patton

Tw: Abuse, orphans(?), suicide, death

AU

"I hate you!" Roman screamed, slamming close the door loudly, waiting for it to stop reverberating down the hallway before he spun around on his heel, walking across the hard wooden floor in the long room, beds lining the walls full of orphaned children who were all staring at the only boy who dares to mess with the workers.

He kicked the metal frame holding the old, torn mattress they dare call a bed, sitting on the end with his head in his hands, breathing heavily. His bed was right at the end on the left, next to him was his friend Logan, and opposite the two was Virgil and Patton who all slowly walked up to their friend, worried.

"If they find you up they'll beat ya" another boy whispered, tucked securely under his blankets. Logan glanced over, nodding in gratitude before kneeling before Roman, watching him try and hold back the tears that so badly wanted to escape. "Can you make the pain go away?" He whispered, removing his hands to stare at Logan pleadingly. The young boy nodded, with the help of Patton they laid Roman on his stomach, slowly tugging up his ragged shirt to reveal the many marks from the belt, mostly the metal part.

Old scars, along with new ones.

Logan set to work, grabbing the small med kit he owned from under his bed, and using some disinfectant to clean the wounds. Roman breathed in sharply but didn't cry out, he never wanted to give the satisfaction to the workers who beat him, so he was able to stay quiet during immense pain.

Virgil couldn't watch, he leaned on the metal frame, gulping in air as Patton rubbed his back, whispering to him soothingly. A few of the other kids walked to the door, peeking out to make sure no one was coming. All the kids bonded together to care and help each other, the young ones being their main priority, some kids have to double up due to the lack of beds.

There was at least fifty.

"They're coming!" Someone whispered, the children by the door scattering. Gasping, Logan grabbed everything and quickly tugged Roman's blanket across his back, hiding the medical stuff before sliding into bed, Virgil and Patton already there.

Suddenly, the door opened, light from the hall pouring in. The children shut their eyes and froze, hearing the soft 'tap, tap, tap' of the worker's shoes against the floor. Virgil began to shake, and Patton noticed. He knew the worker would notice, and he also knew what they did to children who acted scared. Jumping to action, he stood up, gaining her attention.

"I'm thirsty, may I have a drink?" He asked softly, staring up at her through his lashes, arms strapped to his side, not making any sort of nervous fidget.

The worker looked him up and down, slapping him across the face. He gasped, grabbing the metal frame to keep him up. Roman wanted to intervene, but another fifteen whips with the belt didn't sound particularly pleasing, besides these people aren't afraid of "accidentally" killing a kid, and Roman couldn't die, not if it meant leaving the kids here alone without a protector.

"Don't ask for anything again, you spoiled brat" she snarled, pointing her wooden cane to his face.

"Yes, miss, sorry miss" he rushed out, clambering back into bed with a stinging cheek. Thankfully, she didn't walk up to Virgil's bed, instead she turned around, chuckled at Roman and left the room, closing the door behind her.

Roman went to sit up but groaned, falling back against the broken springs. "Do not move" Logan whispered to him, tip-toeing over to Patton and quietly asking if he was alright. He nodded in response, smiling a little to hide his pain.

"Virgil?"

Said boy slowly sat up, lifting up his hands so they were visible.

"I'm fine" he signed, Virgil didn't have a voice, he was born silent. Logan nodded and softly slid back into his bed, head falling against it completely, due to the fact the room only had a few spare pillows, the younger kids using them.