In The Past - Virgil x Logan

My tooth hurts

My tooth hurts.... ;-;

Trigger warning

AU

"Here"

Logan's hand came into Virgils view, his eyes fixated on the old, wooden door in front of him. The faded paint representing entire house.

Forgotten.

One singular key was in Logan's palm, once bright golden now near rust.

Virgil took it gently, slotting it into the keyhole and twisting it slowly until he heard a click. Breathing in deeply, Virgil pushed the wood and listened to the all familiar creak, the old hallway coming into view.

"God..." Virgil muttered, memories flashing back through his mind like on a cinema screen.

"Are you alright?" Came the comforting voice of his boyfriend - Logan.

Virgil nodded, sending a small smile to him. "I'm fine" he mustered, bracing himself. He always did as a child...readying himself for the abuse he would go through everyday after school.

But now? They're not here...his abusers are gone.

Why was he still scared.

Breathing out, Virgil took one step in, and another, pausing in the doorway. His eyes scanned the open hallway, dust had taken over along with some vegetation. Windows had been smashed, some were boarded up, the wallpaper was peeling, the carpet was stained and ripped...

Nothing like what it once was.

His childhood house was perfect. From the outside, it looked like it was made to stare at in awe, the inside even better. Everyone thought whoever lived here must've had the perfect family...

But if one - just one person peeked behind the closed doors, they would see the "perfect family" was anything but.

"You do not have to do this, Virgil" Logan echoed his earlier statement he said on the journey over, but Virgil just gave him a look that said "I have to".

Walking in further, he - in habit - took off his shoes and placed them neatly by the mat until he realised what he was doing. "Sorry" he muttered, quickly putting them back on. "If I didn't I'd...Y'know" he shrugged, Logan nodded and picked up a picture frame situated on one of the hallway desks.

"That's them" Virgil sighed, "the woman who birthed me, the man who made the woman pregnant, and the other child that was birthed" Virgil made a point to not call them the titles all parents and siblings have.

They don't deserve them. At all.

Logan nodded, placing the picture back down the way it was before. The two explored the quiet, dusty house. Sneezing every now and again. Logan didn't stray too far from Virgil, he knew vaguely of what happened in this house, and seeing as Virgil can't bare to call his parents their titles, it was probably hell.

Virgil left the living room and into the kitchen, flashbacks trying to bring him back but he stayed strong, pushing aside the memories he'd rather not think about, and headed on upstairs.

"This was my old room" Virgil announced, taking a few steps in. Logan followed after, frowning a bit. Apart from the bed and rotten desk, there was nothing else. No toys, no books, not anything you would expect to be in a child's bedroom.

He gazed out the window while Virgil opened a draw. Opposite the house, across the street, after rows and rows of house was a cliffs edge, the ocean crashing against the bottom but from the house logan couldn't see it.

Virgil bent down to the bottom draw, plucking out the only thing in there. A note.

He only had to read the first line to remember what it was...

Dear whoever cares...as if anyone would,

He sighed, folding the note. "Are you okay?" Logan's soothing voice calmed Virgil down. He looked up at his boyfriend with a small smile, nodding his head and tucking away the note. "I'm fine" he whispered. Logan nodded and looked at the bed, while doing so Virgil turned towards the window, letting one memory come to life...

A child stood on the cliff, it was a calm day, a soft breeze, cloudless, sunny sky. A perfect day for a family outing, maybe. Not for the child.

He neared the edge, gripping the rusted, broken, metal railing that would try to stop people from falling but one strong push and the railing would collapse and fall into the rocky bottom of the cliff, the water sure to engulf it from the world. The child was crying softly, sniffling and staring at his bruised arms. He was only young, but already wanted nothing more on this planet.

He climbed onto the railing, holding his arms out, ready to fall when a hand gripped him and pulled him back...

"Virgil?"

Virgil turned towards Logan who looked worried, holding one of Virgils trembling hands in his own, brushing away a single tear that managed to slip down his pale cheek.

"You saved me" Virgil smiled shakily, bring Logan into a hug.

"Thank you"