Too Many Scars - Roman x Virgil

Hey so I heard the prompt of when you fall in love a tally mark appears on your arm from ringpopprince - who is an amazing author, by the way - he is currently writing a book about poly sander sides called "Tally Marks" - if I recall correctly. (I highly you advise you check it out) - , I technically didn't get the idea from him, but I heard about the prompt from him, so, *finger guns* yeeeaahhh

Basically the prompt is when you fall in love a red tally mark appears on your wrist, when your love is requited the red tally mark turns black, and doesn't disappear unless your loved one dies, which then the black tally mark turns into a scar.

You can have more than one tally mark.

Side note: all the scars mentioned in this OneShot are not self harm, just...wanted to get it out there

Enjoy!

(Important information is underlined and italic ^^^ just above)

AU

"It's great and all but...he always wears sleeves" Virgil told his friend Patton, both men sitting in a quiet cafe in the middle of town, sipping hot chocolate and talking about Virgil's boyfriend, Roman.

Patton cocked his head, twirling the small spoon around in the warm liquid, "sleeves?"

Virgil nodded, letting his gaze glide to the window they sat beside, watching a few people walk by.

"It's...weird, he's never worn a t-shirt around me. He even wears long sleeved tops to bed...should I be worried?" Virgil sighed out, gulping down a bit of his chocolate nectar, warming up his insides nicely. Patton nodded softly, staring off to think about what he said. He and Roman had formed a romantic relationship a few months ago, a few days after Virgil found the black tally mark against his wrist. He was happy, excited, thrilled, beyond speechless when he found said mark, and so was Roman, but it's always bothered him, lingering in the back of his mind when he caught a glimpse of his covered arms.

"I...think...if you are concerned, you should talk to him about it" Patton finally spoke, smiling reassuringly over at his friend. "He'll understand your worry. Maybe it's nothing, but..." Patton drifted, moving his hand to place over Virgil's, sending him a concerned look. Virgil nodding, understanding what he meant.

Later that day, Virgil arrived at his home, hearing Roman singing a soft tune from upstairs, presumably in his bedroom, finding a play to perform.

Kicking off his shoes, he ventured up the stairs, knocking on Roman's offices' white door. The singing paused, and Virgil couldn't help but smile just thinking about the man on the other side. "Come in, Dearest!" He called, letting Virgil step in, spotting Roman sitting on his spin-y chair, turned around to face him, wide charming grin stretched across his lips.

"Hey, Puppy" Virgil smiled, letting Roman pull him into a hug, their bodies pressing flush against each other as Roman softly kissed his neck, hearing hums of content from the darkly dressed man.

"I wanted to talk to you..." Virgil trailed off after Roman parted away, hands still resting on his waist, thumbs under his top to rub his sides. Confusion and curiosity crossed Roman's bright brown eyes, and they sat on the couch beside each other, Roman reaching over to hold one of his hands comfortingly. "What is it, Dearest?" He asked softly, encouraging the anxious man before him to speak.

"I...I wanted to know why..." he paused, breathing in some air and looking away to gain some sort of confidence. Roman waited patiently, quite quickly in their relationship coming to terms with his anxiety, and knowing sometimes he needed time - especially in situations like these. And reassurance, which he was more than happy to give.

"Why you...always cover your arms" Virgil eventually managed, meeting Roman's gaze that went from soft to closed off, flicking to the side as the room fell into tense, thick silence. Worrying bubbling up inside of him, Virgil wondered if he crossed the line, but he knew he would've asked the question sooner or later. He preferred it to be sooner, so he could help...if it's what he thinks it is.

"I..." Roman stopped, sighing out and letting go of Virgil's hand.

He did want to tell Virgil, but he didn't know how he would react.

Slowly, he grabbed Virgil's arm in a soft grip, rolling up the sleeve to gently rub his finger across the single black mark upon his wrist. "I don't know what you'll think of me..." Roman sighed out, keeping his eyes focused on the black mark, sensing Virgil's concern as it swarmed around the two.

"I won't think anything bad" Virgil moved his wrist to instead grip Roman's hand in a tight hold, squeezing it with reassurance. Roman nodded, bring up one sleeve to reveal a completely clean arm. Virgil gazed across it, even tilting his head to see if the light would catch anything, but nothing. It was perfectly normal.

Then, his eyes flickered over to his other arm, which was littered with scars. But...they weren't self inflicted. They were scars from tally marks.

This elicited a sharp, shocked gasp from Virgil who covered his mouth, looking up to Roman who swallowed hard, clearing his throat as he kept back tears ready to run down his cheeks.

"Puppy..."

"Please...I-I know...I fall in love easily" he tried to chuckle but it came out broken and sad.

Reaching up to stroke his cheek, Roman leaned into it, closing his eyes and sighing out. "I hated when people found out...they pitied me. All of them..." cracking open his glossy eyes, he stared in anger at the scars running down his skin. Scars from the people he had lost.

"What if you go too?" His voice cracked, staring at the black mark just above the fold in his arm, sniffling. Virgil shuffled closer, moving to stroke his thumb across the scars gently, Roman's eyes meeting the dark ones he could stare into all day.

"I'll never go, Roman. I promise" he stated firmly, keeping his gaze locked as he did, wanting Roman to know he won't be dying. He'll make sure of it.

The usually flamboyant man nodded, sniffling and moving to hug his boyfriend tightly, hiding his face in his neck as a few tears melted into the fabric of Virgil's jacket.

Hugging back just as tight, Virgil didn't let go until Roman cried himself dry, both men content with falling asleep in each other's arms.

Hope you like it?

I guess it's one of the OneShots I'm more proud of....