You're Upset - Roman x Patton

—

Roman stood in the doorway to the kitchen, silently watching Patton clean the dishes, whenever the royal trait caught a glimpse of his face he could tell the child-like trait had been crying before, which worried Roman. Although Patton was never usually upset, when he was he made sure to hide it, he was good at it, unfortunately.

But today, things were different.

"Patton?"

Said trait paused his movements, back towards Roman. "Hey, Ro" he replied, voice slightly horse and wavered as he forced out his words, starting up his cleaning once more.

"What's wrong?" Roman stepped closer, crossing his arms with concern floating in his eyes. Patton didn't stop this time, just carried on cleaning, pretending to not have heard what he asked.

Roman sighed, leaning on the counter. "Patton" he said a little more firmly. Finally, the trait spun around with a smile on his face. "Yeah?"

"What's wrong?" Roman stepped up to him, reaching up his hand to brush his cheek under his eye. Patton giggled quietly, moving his hand away. "I'm fine!" He replied, "a little tired, I'm having a nap after I clean up!" He explained, shooting smiles at Virgil and Logan who just walked in.

"Are you sure?" Roman persisted, staring into Pattons eyes. The bubbly trait nodded, putting away a few plates. "I'm just worried, Pat-"

"Dude, leave the guy alone, he's obviously okay" Virgil piped up, feeling grouchy in the morning. Roman spun around to face Pattons "dark strange son" to see he was serious. Sighing, Roman looked to Logan as a last option but the nerd was buried deep in a book he was obviously enjoying, mouthing silent things to himself.

Shoulders deflating, Roman looked back at Patton one last time, maybe he...was okay?

Taking his leave Roman hid away in his room, deciding to clean up his room as a past time, his mind never letting Patton go.

Later that day Roman was still worried about Pattons wellbeing! Even after he had a smile on the entire day. Maybe he hadn't cried, maybe he was just tired but Romans concern didn't ease, so he went to find him and ask once...a few times more.

"Patton!" Roman smiled, walking up to him. He put down the empty clothes basket in the little cupboard in the hallway, turning to Roman with a bright smile after.

"Hey, Roro! What's up?"

"Are you okay, Cookie?" Roman replied, ignoring his question. Patton giggled quietly, nodding to assure Roman who still wasn't convinced. It was a gut feeling, and Roman learnt to trust his gut.

"Okayyy" Roman dragged out in an agreeing tone, anyway. Before patton could leave he held open his arms, cocking an eyebrow. "I haven't had a hug all day, Cookie!" He explained, his voice on the edge of whiny-begging.

Grinning, Patton jumped into his arms, hugging the royal trait tightly.

"Hey Pat?" Roman whispered, rubbing his back.

"Yeah?" He whispered in reply.

"You're upset"

And, somehow with the hug and the statement, Patton broke down in his arms. Smiling sadly, Roman carried his boyfriend to his room.

"W-why are you s-so persistent?" Patton asked, choking on sobs as soon as Roman placed him on his bed, kneeling in front of his legs. "Because I love you" Roman replied softly, watching as Patton cried even harder.

Moving to sit next to him Patton hugged himself into his side, bawling. All Roman could do was hug him comfortingly, and whisper soothing things to him until he calmed down enough to speak.

"What's wrong, Cookie?" He gently asked, running a hand through his hair. Sniffling, Patton rested his head on Roman's shoulder, taking in his comforting scent. "Y-you love me..right?" He asked in a broken voice, guilt weighing on the royals heart.

"Of course I do! I love you so, so much"

Patton nodded, "a-and the others don't hate me?"

"Not at all, why would they?"

Patton stayed silent, opting for hiding his face in the royals shirt. Sighing softly, Roman pulled both of them up the bed, combing his fingers through his soft hair while Patton fell asleep on his chest, the rhythmic feeling of the rising and falling helped calm him down even more.

"I love you, Cookie" Roman whispered, kissing his head. He stayed like that for a few hours, just holding his love close to his chest, a faint smile on his lips.