Ch.31

We both jumped awake to someone screaming. He shoved the shelf out the way and I ran out with a big hunting knife in hand.

The brown haired girl was standing on a chair. I tilted my head at her frustrated.

"Rat!" She yelled and I got pissed. I stormed over and dragged her by her shirt and threw her down in the chair.

"You're trying to get us killed over a rat!" I yelled at her as everyone came out their own shelves.

"It was big." She whimpered.

"Oh really it was big." I said pretending to be scared. She smiled and nodded.

"You know what's bigger." I growled and her smile fell.

"My knife that's about to be so deep in your throat you'll taste it." I growled and she gasped as I was pulled away from her.

"Ok ok calm down. It's just a rat and nothing is banging on anything so we should be fine." Midoriya said and I looked at him angrily.

"Are you joking?" I asked and he just looked at me. I scoffed and went to my area.

"Y/n." He said walking in.

"No it's fine I just.....I'm going outside." I whispered getting my jacket and my poncho and my machete and crossbow.

I put my hood on and walked out. I walked a few feet away and sat on a cold bench. I got a cigarette out and lit it. I breathed it in and looked around. That's when a memory came back to me.

"Sissy sissy!" Emily yelled as she ran to me through the snow. I was leaning against my motorcycle smoking after me and my mother had a argument.

"Yes?" I asked looking down at her.

"What did you get me for Christmas!" She asked happily and I sighed sadly.

"I'm sorry honey I couldn't afford anything this year." I said and she looked down.

"I'll get you whatever you want ok. Right now." I said moving and sitting on my bike.

"Anything?" She said and I nodded about to leave.

"Anything I can afford that is." I said and she looked at my hand.

"Ok then stop smoking." She said and I was a little shocked.

"What?" I asked and she took it out my hand and threw it away.

"Stop smoking. My teacher says it's really bad for you. It can be my Christmas gift. Then if I die you can start again." She said looking at me with hope in her eyes. I just melted.

"Ok I'll stop." I said smiling sweetly at her.

"Promise?" She said smiling at me.

"Promise."

When I made that promise.

I didn't actually think she'd be the one to die first.

It was going to be me.

It should've been me.

I looked at the cigarette in my hand as tears fell. I sighed sadly and threw it in the snow. I got up and started walking away from the library as cold tears ran down my cheeks.

I walked in the woods a while and I just decided to lay in the snow. I laid on my back as I looked up at the sky. It was clear no clouds in the sky. I began to think what would Emily do right now. I gasped and sat up when I thought of something.

A little later

I made everyone as a snowman. I was having so much fun by myself it felt like I wasn't actually alone. I stood and admired my work.

"Emily what do you think we should add?" I asked and looked around when I didn't get a response. That's when I remembered. My smile dropped as I looked at the snowmen.

"I know what I should add." I whispered and got to work again.

When I was done I looked again.

"That's what it was missing. It was you Emily." I said to myself mostly as I looked at the snowmen. I got the box of cigarettes out and looked at them.

"You know what. You can keep these." I said and dug a whole in front of her and put them in it and buried them.

"Because you're not dead you're still here with me all the time." I whispered to myself looking at the snowman. I looked up and saw the sun was almost down but I didn't want to leave.

This was the most fun I had in weeks. So I stayed.

I stayed in that spot thinking about Emily and how I could have been there for her more in the past.

I could have been a better sister but I wasn't the worst and she loved me to death.

I curled underneath my poncho when it got dark and colder. I didn't want to leave I just wanted to stay here forever. It then started to snow lightly around me and i smiled.

I don't care if I get sick. I just want to feel her presence with me again.

I then silently cried as I sat there. I made sure I was quiet so nothing heard me.

I was out here for a while. My poncho almost completely covered in snow when I heard foot steps in the snow behind me. I panicked and held my breath and did my best to stay still. When I saw a light from a flashlight i relaxed.

"Y/n it's time to come back." Midoriya said and I slowly stood. My body now hurting from the cold. I slowly turned to him.

"Do I have to?" I asked and he sadly nodded at me. I sighed and turned back to the snowmen.

"Bye Emily." I whispered and turned to him. He smiled sadly and held his arm out that held a blanket around his shoulders. I walked over and let him put his arm around my shoulders.

When we got back it was quiet and we went to my little area. He had already started a fire in the trash for me.

"Is everyone sleeping?" I asked him as I sat next to the fire. He nodded and sat down across from me.

"Yeah I went to get you after they all fell asleep. We all got into a heated argument after you left about Ochaco. I saw you having fun in the woods so I left you be." He said and I nodded.

"Thank you." I whispered and he looked at me softly.

"I wasn't taking sides back there if that's what you are upset about." He said and I shook my head.

"It's not that. But I will be giving up smoking." I said and he nodded a little confused.

"Why's that?" He asked and i smiled at the fire.

"I remembered a promise I made." I said and he looked at me sadly like he knew what I was talking about.

He didn't say anything tho and he moved closer and hugged me.