Chapter 16

Through the rearview mirror, Paul looked at the distant-looking James.

After hesitating momentarily, Paul plucked up the courage to ask, "James, when are you going to get married to Emily?"

Paul always felt that everything would be settled after James and Emily got married, and he would no longer have to worry about anything.

James seemed to smile, but it didn't reach the bottom of his eyes. "You also want me to marry her?"

Paul shook his head subconsciously and said, "No, but..."

But he had no choice.

Just as Paul considered what to say, James suddenly said, "I'll marry her."

James's voice was very indifferent, as if there was no emotion. He was like a machine, so offish that he was unconscious.

Paul sighed deeply in his heart. James seemed to have never been happy.

Jackson drove Amelia home.

Before exiting the car, Jackson handed her an ointment and said, "It'll help you reduce the swelling."

After thanking him, Amelia declined politely. "I'll just use ice cubes when I get back."

After saying that, Amelia left. Jackson looked at her petite figure with a lonely expression again.

Jackson could feel that Amelia was on her guard against him, and even a hint of hostility in her eyes puzzled him.

While Jackson was deep in thought, Zoey reminded him, "Mr. Collins, Ms. Garcia is playing hard to get. Please don't be fooled."

Jackson had never been in a relationship since he lost his memory. He didn't know how to play hard to get.

When he heard Zoey's words, he subconsciously retorted, "She doesn't like me. How could she play hard to get?"

However, Zoey said, "She deliberately pretended not to like you to attract your attention and make you feel heartbroken, but she is still distant. Once you fall in love with her, will it be easy for her to capture you? Besides..."

After a pause, Zoey continued, "Didn't you notice that she played some tricks just now? If Ms. Garcia had been gentle and generous, she wouldn't have told you she was beaten. Still, she deliberately let you see it and even let you teach Miss Weil a lesson. This can take revenge on Miss Weil with your hands and make your impression of her worse. She must have known that Mr. Weil wanted to get you and Miss Weil together, so she deliberately played some tricks to ruin it..."

Under normal circumstances, Jackson would have believed Zoey's words. But now, he felt that it was reasonable even if Amelia played some tricks to let him find out that she had been beaten. No one would fight back for no reason. She was not a saint.

Moreover, Amelia didn't let him see it on purpose. It was apparent that Lena had hit her hard enough to leave a fingerprint on her face.

If it weren't for that, he probably wouldn't have known that she had been beaten in the bathroom.

Zoey still wanted to say something, but Jackson stopped him. "Just focus on driving. All you know how to do is gossip."

Zoey was speechless.

His boss said he only knew how to gossip all day!

He felt terrible again. When he returned, he must buy over a dozen cups of milk tea to soothe his injured heart.

When Amelia got home, she was so tired that she collapsed on the sofa and stared blankly at the ceiling.

Her physical strength was overdrawn and spread from her body to her heart, making her so tired that she closed her eyes.