Chapter 116

James' eyes scanned Amelia's face for a few moments before he spoke with certainty, "Amelia, I've never minded your background. I love you, no matter what your identity is, or whether we share the same thoughts and views. As long as it's you, it's all that matters..."

It was why he had never pondered about the issues that had never occurred to him that Amelia was bothered by their huge differences all this while.

Despite that, to James, those were not obstacles to be worried about.

He raised his fingertips to caress Amelia's cheeks, muttering in his affectionate tone, "What I have is yours. As long as you want it, I can give you everything right this instant..."

Hearing his vows, Amelia managed a weak smile without saying much.

He could give her everything, but he could never give her the mental support she desperately needed.

She had to rely on herself to gain the possession of such self-worth and mental strength, which James would never understand.

Seeing the smile on her lips, a little helplessly, the man picked her up, turned her over, and pressed her onto the sofa.

"Amelia, I'll make sure you feel secure and confident in time. These are not obstacles that can stand between us."

Amelia raised her head. Looking at the obstinate and stubborn man above her, she heaved a heavy sigh.

"What about your future child then?"

James froze, along with the flash of a trace of panic in his usual determined gaze.

"You..."

Amelia's gaze slowly shifted to her flat belly.

"I heard everything you told me in the hospital that day..."

"According to the doctor, I took too many birth control pills, so it's seemingly impossible for me to get pregnant..."

James' deathly pale face had lost all its colors at the moment.

He let go of Amelia, sat up straight, and dropped on the sofa in extreme fatigue.

At the sight of the usual tall and arrogant man dismounting his haughtiness to stare at the ceiling, dazed, Amelia couldn't help sighing deeply once more.

"You're the patriarch of the Evans Family, so you must have a child to inherit your family business, but I can never give birth to any..."

James had thought that she was blaming him for her infertility, but when he heard that she was thinking for his sake, the panic in his eyes faded away before he reached out once more, pulling her into his arms.

Hugging Amelia tightly, he lowered his head to her ear, whispering with a calm soft hush, "Amelia, the Evans Family has many descendants. There isn't any need for my children. to inherit the position. You don't have to worry about it, leave everything to me."

Amelia, who sat on his lap, leaned over to give him a sidelong glance.

"What about you, do you want a child?"

Without any hesitation, James replied, "I don't want anything, I just want you."

Amelia lowered her head. Staring at the French window behind the sofa zoning into space, the sun shone brightly, but her heart was locked up in darkness without a single beam of light.

After she remained to stare at the clear sky for a while, she began to softly say, "But, I do, can you make it up for me..."

The man holding her went stiff. His body went cold with blood stopped circulating all over.