Chapter 89

Pulling a long face, James said nothing as if to show no interest in communicating with Ryan.

Seemingly unbothered, Ryan raised the corners of his lips to a faint smile.

"When we were young, we did suffer a lot. When I'm all grown up, I vowed to marry her when things get better for me. I'll bring her home, and eliminate all the worries for the rest of her life..."

He paused briefly and his eyes dimmed, seemingly caught in his past memories.

"Do you know, she asked me countless times when I'd marry her, and I'd always tell her to wait. It was only now that I realized that I shouldn't have made her wait..."

James cast a cold glance at him with his indifferent eyes.

"You finally married her."

The smile at the corner of Ryan's lips was bitter.

"Yes, I did..."

James' handsome and well defined face grew a little gloomy.

"Congratulations," he said and was about to leave.

Ryan then said, "I don't want this acquisition contract, you can take it back."

James halted in his tracks and turned to take a cold glance at Ryan.

"It isn't for you."

Ryan, who remained calm and composed, chuckled.

"I know."

Saving him, taking care of him, protecting him, and handing the Collins Group over to him, it was all for Amelia.

He had done all he could to prove that he loved Amelia dearly, but there was one thing Ryan didn't quite understand...

He raised his head to scan James from head to toe, his eyes full of doubts.

"Since you love her so much, why did you leave her back then?"

James' face flashed pale.

"It has nothing to do with you."

Ryan decided against probing and handed the contract back to him.

"Mr. Evans, thank you, but I don't want to owe you a favor."

James snorted.

"Only when you returned to the Collins family could you protect her. Now, what right do you have to talk about owning favors?"

Ryan's heart missed a beat, suffocating as if James had touched a sore spot that made it seem as if he was a good-for-nothing when it came to James.

He clutched the contract in his hand tightly and took a deep breath to manage a bitter smile.

"You're right, I am not capable of protecting her."

In the past, he had been incapable of giving her a better life, and so was she hurt by his family.

Right then, he was confined to a wheelchair and permanently disabled. What did he have to protect her?

The man before his eyes exuding a domineering aura was in the power of the Evans Group, the Leinster Group, and the Moore Group.

Should Amelia stay by James' side, how could she have suffered?

With a relieved smile, Ryan curled his lips and let out a soft chuckle before placing the contract aside to withdraw an exquisite box.

Slowly, he opened the box, took out the diamond ring, and went on saying in a light voice, "I prepared this diamond ring for her eight years ago. It's not exactly priceless, but it's what I paid for with my scholarship after nights of academic research and endless experiments..."