Chapter 173

James stared at Sumasa's face in the video and whispered to himself:

Please rest assured. I will make sure that Amelia lives a safe and healthy life for the rest of her days.

Your daughter, your Elvira, will be happy, very happy indeed.

Paul, who was watching the video with them, noticed that James held Amelia's hands tightly.

It seemed that Paul had slowly come to understand why James was so determined to be with Amelia, even though he knew she was from the Clark family.

Apart from the love, hate, and life-and-death struggles that the two had gone through for over a decade, there was also Amelia's innocent and tragic mother...

Paul grew up in a loving family, with harmonious parents and respectful siblings. He rarely empathized with others, but this time he felt great pity for Amelia's mother.

The Clark family was really heartless, treating their own child so cruelly. They were nothing but a group of beasts in human clothing.

As Paul clenched her fists in anger, the next video appeared, still featuring Sumasa, but this time on the streets of England.

Compared to the previous video, she looked much older, with a sallow complexion, pale lips, and no flesh on her body. It seemed like a gust of wind could blow her away.

She looked a bit weak, leaning against a dirty wall, with Skender sleeping next to her and Elvira wrapped in a swaddle.

Her bulging eyes stared tightly at the camera, trying to move her lips several times before slowly making a hoarse sound.

"I'm sorry, Mommy is useless and was kicked out by your grandparents..."

"They blame me for marrying a foreigner with inheritance, so they don't want to lend me money. I really have no choice but to beg with you."

"But Mommy's body doesn't seem to be doing well, and I can't hold on much longer..."

At this point, Sumasa choked up, tears streaming down her face.

She didn't know how many times she had cried, but her tears were dry.

"Mommy doesn't want to die. I'm afraid that if I die, you will also freeze and starve to death on the street. You're still so young..."

"I'm sorry, I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have given birth to you and let you suffer in this world."

"But because of you, I know that my existence in this world is meaningful."

"Your soft bodies and sweet smiles are the cure for all of Mommy's troubles."

"I don't regret giving birth to you, but I feel sorry for not giving you a better life..."

"I'm sorry, my children..."

The video ended with repeated apologies.

Sumasa's tragic life ended without resentment or hatred, only feeling sorry for her own child.

James felt a cool sensation on the back of their hand and looked down to see crystal clear tears...

Amelia had no memories of their own mother, and cried for Sumasa's helplessness.

As a woman, she empathized with Sumasa's apologies and felt helpless.

Warm fingers wiped away the tears from her eyes, and James's flawless face slowly appeared in her blurred vision.

"Don't cry."

He wasn't good at comforting words, but his eyes were full of tenderness.

She nodded slightly, seeming to understand her own identity and all the circumstances, but her mood wasn't as heavy.