Chapter 140

Amelia's heart sank and her eyes slowly lowered. As an orphan, where would she have a background to speak of.

Dominic sneered immediately when she could not answer, "I've researched your background, you were born an orphan, even if you've found your sister later, she's just a designer, how can you be worthy of James?"

Comparing based on background, Amelia was indeed not a match for James, but she said, "Even as a designer, my sister has achieved remarkable success in her field."

Others may say that she was of humble origin, but she would not tolerate anyone speaking ill of her sister.

Dominic clearly looked down on an ordinary designer like her sister, but instead of arguing with Amelia, he simply said emphatically, "You know that's your sister's achievement, and it has nothing to do with you."

His point was her sister's achievements were not representative of Amelia's own, and Amelia agreed with that statement.

But he misunderstood her intention, she was just trying to speak up for her sister and defend her achievements.

Amelia wanted to explain, but Dominic did not dwell on the first question anymore, and instead raised his second finger and asked, "My second question, Ms. Garcia, which university did you graduate from?"

This question struck deep into her soul, causing Amelia to feel even more inferior.

Noticing that she was speechless, Dominic replied for her, "You didn't even get into Arcadia University, but only to an ordinary university, while James went to Harvard at a young age. Do you think you're worthy of him?"

Amelia clenched her fists tightly. At this moment, she was not intimidated by the aura of Dominic anymore, but was filled with intense self-doubt due to his two questions.

In contrast to her speechless reaction, Dominic appeared calm and collected, "Ms. Garcia, all the women who married men of the Evans family were born in renowned families, or at least came from scholarly families. However, your background doesn't even qualify as that of an ordinary family."

"I don't look down on people from ordinary families. If you had achieved a high level of education through your own efforts, I don't think I would have objected to your marriage. At least it would have ensured the continuation of the Evans family's excellent genes, but you... You have neither an illustrious family background nor a high level of education. That's why it's difficult for me to agree with your marriage."

Despite feeling a bit intimidated, Amelia still summoned the courage to express her attitude towards James, "Mr. Evans, I know that my background is not good, and I didn't get into a good university, but I'll try my best to pursue my education in the future, and I'll do my best to become worthy of him."

Since Dominic had always believed only in talent, he smiled disdainfully, "Ms. Garcia, as for your academic background, it's not something you can just make up for with effort. If you were born with talent, it would have shown when you took your university entrance exams. It's useless and vain for you to further your education after that."

Amelia's expression turned gloomy. Did she fail to get into a good university because she lacked talent, or was it due to her sudden heart attack in the middle of the exam?

She could not find the answer. In the past, she did not have the courage to go back to school and retake the exams due to the cost in time and money. She just wanted to graduate as soon as possible and earn money to support herself.

These past experiences were not clear to outsiders, and speaking of them would probably only invite ridicule. Therefore, instead of making more excuses, Amelia simply lifted her eyes and looked calmly at Dominic.