Chapter 138

After a heavy rain, the glazed tiles were washed clean and shiny, raindrops hung on the eaves, and the air smelled fresh.

Lu Rongze walked through the winding corridor. The little eunuch at the door saw him coming. After saluting and saying hello, he bent forward and pushed open the vermilion door.

The light in the hall was dim, the windows and doors were closed, and there was a strong smell of herbs floating in the air, with ambergris mixed in it. It was hot, humid, and dull, and it instantly reminded him of the years when he was lingering on the sickbed.

Lu Rongze stood at the door. Yuan Sheng walked out, bent down and whispered: "The prince is finally here. His Majesty has been talking about it for a long time. Please go in quickly."

Lu Rongze nodded, his pale and thin face without much expression. He walked into the room, bypassed the gold and jade screen, and came to the inner hall.

Emperor Hongjia was leaning on a soft pillow, wearing bright yellow pajamas. His hair was almost white, his mouth was slightly open, and his heavy and uneven breathing could be heard.

Lu Rongze walked up to him slowly, bent down and saluted, "I have met my father."

Emperor Hongjia coughed several times and said with difficulty: "Sit down, is the matter done?"

Lu Rongze lowered his eyes and said, "My son has already completed the matter in accordance with the emperor's wishes. The Golden Scale Guards are secretly monitoring Prince Li's Mansion and will report back to the emperor immediately if there is any situation."

Emperor Hongjia was relieved, but not completely relieved.

He stared at the bright yellow tent roof. There were only two of them in the inner hall. He suddenly spoke softly and said in an unclear tone: "Fourth Brother, you said that Third Brother refused to come back. Are you blaming me for not returning the military power?" he?"

Lu Rongze suppressed the itching in his throat and said calmly, "I don't know."

"Then do you think I should return the military power to him?"

Lu Rongze did not answer the question directly, "The third brother may just want to play outside for a while and will come back after a while."

Emperor Hongjia snorted heavily in his nose.

"The war in Northern Xinjiang has ended long ago. It's already April and he still refuses to return to the capital. He went to the Western Region without permission. I think he doesn't take my father seriously at all. Go ahead and issue a decree to ask him to come back immediately. ."

After Emperor Hongjia said this angrily, he began to cough violently. There seemed to be phlegm stuck in his throat, which made him unable to breathe, and his face turned the color of pig liver.

Lu Rongze raised his hand to pat him on the back. Emperor Hongjia grabbed his wrist and made a whooshing sound in his throat.

"Quickly, go and light...light the candle..." He pointed with trembling fingers to the golden table at the head of the bed, with a very bright red candle inserted on it.

Lu Rongze took a look and calmly lit the red candle.

The candle was lit, and an indescribable strange fragrance soon floated out of the room. Emperor Hongjia desperately moved closer to the candle. After smelling the fragrance, his face visibly relaxed.

He lay with his upper body lying on the bedside, stretching his neck to greedily smell the fragrance. He didn't have the slightest bit of imperial demeanor, but looked more like a crazy drunk who took Five Stone Powder in the flower streets and willow alleys.