Chapter 14

Scott turned around and slid down the door to sit on the floor. "What the hell was that?"

Avi shrugged before walking over and sitting down next to him. "I have no clue. He's supposed to be a professional. I.. Have never seen him hit on an Omega that wasn't his. That's ridiculous."

Scott shook his head and rested his elbows on his knees. "Is Mitch okay? This happens to him a lot more than I'd like to admit."

Avi nodded and rested his head against the door. "I know. I warned you about Male Omegas, didn't I? It's crazy."

Scott nodded. "Poor Mitch."

Kirstin walked down the hall, and respectfully stopped in front of the two Alphas to wait for permission to speak.

One of Avi's rules.

Avi glanced up at her. "What's up, Kit Kat?"

Kirstie blushed a little at the nickname, and met Avi's eyes. "Sir, Mitchell is kind of freaking out. He's afraid he got our pack in trouble by being disapproved of by the Inspector."

Scott quickly stood up, while Avi sighed.

Avi watched Scott walk down the hall and then patted the floor next to him for Kirstin to sit down.

She did, politely and smiled at him. "Will Mitchie be okay?"

Avi intertwined their fingers and smiled back. "Scott will take good care of him. Don't you worry."

He then bopped her nose with one of his fingers and she giggled.

Avi let Kirstie lay her head on his shoulder, and he smiled.

Closing his eyes, Avi sighed in hopes of relaxing for the first time all day.

*****

Scott walked into Avi and Kirstie's room, saw Mitch, and told him to go back to their room.

Mitch did, of course, and Scott followed.

Scott closed the door behind him, and then sat down next to Mitch on the edge of the bed. "What's wrong?"

Mitch began to fiddle with his fingers in his lap. "Did I get you in trouble?"

"Why would you have gotten me in trouble? In trouble with who?"

Mitch kept fidgeting around. "The Pack Inspector. Did I get us in trouble?"

Scott put an arm over Mitch's shoulders. "This is the reason you're sulking? You think we're in trouble?"

Mitch pushed Scott's arm off and stood up in front of him. "I know we are. And it's my fault. It's all my fault."

Mitch's shoulders sagged in defeat.

Scott shook his head at him. "No, Mitchie. We're not in trouble. Avi said so himself that he's never seen a Pack Inspector act that way before. We'll probably just get a new Inspector, and we'll do it again."

"But it's because of me, isn't it? I caused all this. I'm so sorry, Sir." Mitch said regretfully.

"Mitchell. It is not your fault that he couldn't keep his hands off you. That's his fault. Don't you dare put this on yourself. None of your pack blames you. Not a single one of us." Scott explained truthfully.

Mitch looked at the ground and whispered something. It barely registered to Scott as, "I do."

Scott tilted his head. He'd heard what Mitch said, but he couldn't believe it. "Speak up, Mitchie. What'd you just say?"

Mitch continued to look at the floor. "I.. I do. I blame myself. I must have done something that made him act that way. What did I do wrong?"

Scott opened his mouth, but closed it again. He really didn't have an answer for that.

Mitch ran a hand over his face. "God, I ruined everything. What's wrong with me?"

Scott stood up and grabbed both of Mitch's hands. Mitch slowly looked up at Scott to meet his eyes.

Scott shook his head at him. "No. No, Mitchell. No, you did not ruin everything. No, there is nothing wrong with you. That man had no right to do that to you. Things just happen to you because you're an undeniably gorgeous Male Omega. But that's why I'm here. I'm here to protect you, to care for you. So if you're afraid, or you feel like there is something wrong with you. Well..."

Scott kissed his forehead. "That means I'm doing something wrong. It means I'm not doing my job. It's not you. It's never you."

Mitch smiled. "But you always do your job."

Scott smiled back. "I like to think so. Everything isn't always your fault, Mitch. That's just how it makes sense in your head. Kirstin does the same thing. But it's not you, I promise. Because if something was really your fault, what would we be doing right now?"

Mitch thought for a second, before realization dawned on him. "Punishments."

Scott smiled and nodded. "Punishments, indeed. But we aren't. Because it wasn't your fault. Understood?"

"Yes, sir."