Chapter 54

Once they had all woken up, they filtered through the living room.

Avi and Mitch were in the kitchen making breakfast for everyone, while Kevin sat on the couch reading what looked to be a textbook.

No one asked, honestly. It probably was a textbook.

And it was probably on something ridiculous like physiology or calculus.

Scott was with Kirstin down the hall, helping her put a few things away because Avi was busy.

Scott and Kirstie got along just about as well as Mitch and Avi did.

Mitch was making eggs, while Avi worked on pancakes.

Mitch glanced over at him a few times, but Avi was just staring blankly at what he was doing.

Like he wasn't even really there.

Mitch finished his eggs and then put them on a plate, and set them on the counter.

He then walked up to Avi and stood by his side. "You alright?" he asked gently.

Avi appeared to snap out of whatever thought he was trapped in. "I'm fine."

"C'mon, Alpha. You know you can tell me. You never have to lie to me." Mitch said reassuringly.

Avi turned to look at him, before turning back and flipping one of the pancakes. "I know."

"So tell me what's on your mind."

Avi sighed. "Mitchell.. This really isn't something I can talk to you about."

"Why not?" Mitch said, leaning his back on the counter so he could stare at Avi.

Avi flipped another pancake. "It's a touchy subject for Omegas. I just don't want to see y'all get hurt. Especially if its because of me."

"We won't, Sir. You and Scott are two of the best Alphas in the entire area." Mitch said honestly.

Avi put the pancakes on top of the others on a plate, and poured more dough to make more pancakes. "You don't understand."

"Help me understand then."

Avi sighed and met his eyes. "Listen, Mitchell. Scott and I will sure as hell fight our asses off. But if its not enough, there's nothing I can do. If they take you and Kirstin away.. God, I'd never forgive myself.." He trailed off, flipping yet another pancake.

Mitch just stared at him. "That won't happen."

"It might."

Mitch swallowed. "Is that why Scott has been acting so weird?"

"He knows too."

Mitch looked down the hall. Then he turned back to Avi who was setting the last few pancakes on a plate.

Mitch just watched, speechless.

Avi finally turned to him. "I didn't want to have to tell you that. Just know that that's worst case scenario. They might not find us at all."

Mitch just nodded.

Avi sighed and gave Mitch a brief hug. "I'm sorry, Mitchell. Now I've failed you too."

He pulled back and walked past the smaller boy before Mitch could say a word.

******

They'd eaten in silence, Mitch barely touching anything.

That unfortunately meant that Scott and Avi had to stay behind after everyone else finished, to make sure that their Omega finished.

Scott stood above Mitch on his left side while Avi sat next to him in a chair seated at the table.

Scott put a hand on his shoulder. "Come on, love. You have to eat something. You're skinny enough as it is."

Mitch sighed and looked at Avi with desperation. "Can't I just not? Just this once?"

Avi put a hand on top of Mitch's. "I'm sorry, dear. That's not how it works."

Mitch whined. "I'm just not hungry, guys."

Scott kept his hand on Mitch's shoulder as he leaned down and kissed his cheek. "Lets go, Mitchie. Just eat. You want to lift as much as I do, you have to eat to keep your strength up. Understand?"

Mitch nodded. He grabbed his fork and ate a little of his pancake.

It didn't take long, before he dropped his fork and looked up at them again. "Are we going to die?"

Scott jumped in front of him. "Who told you that?!"

Mitch instantly became afraid. "N-no one! I just-"

Scott glared at Avi. "What did you tell him?"

Avi stood from the table. "Nothing. I just told him we might not be able to protect him."

Scott walked around the table. "Why would you say that to him?! He's my Omega. I get to choose when I warn him about these things."

Avi backed up a little. "I'm his leader. You're just his mate. I shouldn't have said anything. Sorry. But I did. He was going to find out sooner or later."

Scott got closer to him. "But it should've been up to me. You're not the one who deals with his nightmares. You're not the one who holds him when he cries. If I had told Kirstie, you'd have killed me."

Avi took a step closer to him, rather than backing away. "That's because you're not her leader. I, on the other hand, am Mitch's leader. I was his Alpha long before you were. I shouldn't have said anything to him, I'm sorry I did. But he needed to know eventually."

Scott pushed Avi's chest. "How dare you! How dare you! Would you tell someone else's child that Santa isn't real?"

Avi regained is footing and pushed Scott back. "That is a horrible analogy, because he was mine first! He's your romantic partner. But if anyone is worried about his safety, it's me."

Scott's eyes flashed red and he snarled at Avi. "You know damn well that's not true. You told me yourself that my strength is in protective instincts. And you also told me that I'm stronger than you when I'm protecting Mitch."

Avi's eyes blinked red as well.

Scott walked up to Avi so that their chests were touching.

Scott growled low in his throat, and Avi growled back.

Mitch stood from the table and ran over.

Usually these things sort themselves out, but it doesn't look like that's where this argument is heading.

Mitch cautiously walked beside them. "Guys.. It's not a big deal.."

Both heads snapped towards him, causing Mitch to jump.

Avi snarled at him. "This does not concern you, Omega."

Mitch backed up in fear, and ran into the living room to fetch Kevin.

*****