Chapter 85

That night, Scott wouldn't allow Mitch to say goodnight to Avi.

"He's upset, Mitchell. Leave him alone." Scott had said.

Mitch had frowned at him, but complied nonetheless.

He brought it up again when they were laying down.

Scott had just clicked the light off, and crawled into bed with Mitch.

Mitch tucked himself into Scott's side, and felt one of Scott's arms wrap around him.

Mitch peeked up at him for a moment. "Can I please go say goodnight to him? He's just lonely. And I feel bad for him."

Scott sighed and removed his arm from Mitch's touch. "Fine."

Mitch scooted off the bed, and made it halfway out the door before he smelled Scott's anger.

He froze, shoulders tensing and then turned around slowly. "A-Alpha..?"

"Just hurry the Hell up okay?"

Mitch flinched a little at the tone, but quickly ran to Avi's room.

Knocking once, he opened the door.

Avi was just sitting on the side of his bed, staring blankly at the wall. "What's up, Omega?"

Mitch cautiously walked in. "I just wanted to say goodnight.."

Avi huffed and turned his head to stare at him in disbelief. "Scott let you come here just to say that?"

Mitch shrugged. "Well.. Sort of."

Avi shook his head and stared at the wall again. "Goodnight, Mitchell."

Mitch hesitated, feeling as though he should say more. But he turned and walked out of the room.

Mitch quietly walked into his own room, and closed the door behind him before jumping back into bed with Scott.

This time, however, Scott had his back to Mitch.

Mitch just stared at Scott, wondering if he might turn around.

But he didn't.

Mitch frowned and curled into a small ball in hopes of comforting himself enough to sleep.

But he'd always had Scott's arm around him when he fell asleep.

He'd become so used to it, how could he possibly get through the night without Scott's comfort?

Mitch then pondered what he did wrong.

What exactly about Avi got under Scott's skin so much?

Mitch had only wanted to say goodnight. Avi was so broken without Kirstin.. And Kevin was one of Avi's best friends.

But they were both gone.

Was it really so wrong of Mitch to simply say goodnight?

No.

Of course not.

But.. His Alpha had told him not to. And he'd disobeyed.

Mitch had disobeyed his Alpha to please another.

Mitch whimpered at the thought, but quickly slapped a hand over his mouth.

Scott didn't move, and for a second Mitch thought he was asleep.

Finally, Scott sighed and turned over. "What's wrong?" He asked gently.

Mitch shook his head, hand still over his mouth.

Scott grabbed Mitch's hand and pulled it from Mitch's face to hold it in his own. "Come on. Tell me."

"Why aren't you.. We always cuddle and stuff.. Are you mad at me?" Mitch asked timidly.

Scott ran his thumb over Mitch's knuckle, and stared into Mitch's eyes. "No, darling. I'm not mad. I have no reason to be, right?"

"Right. But if something I did upset you, I'd like to know what it was.." Mitch responded quietly.

Scott moved forward and engulfed Mitch's small body in his own. "It isn't you. It's me. You just.. Mitchie, you just give.. And give.. And give until it hurts. And then beyond. And it's amazing. But I can't do that. I want you all to myself.."

Mitch opened his mouth but Scott began again. "Everywhere I turn, someone is trying to take you away from me. Those people in the parking lot that one day.. People in clubs.. Omega Snatchers.. Other Alphas.. And I just.. I've looked up to Avi for a long time, but I can't take this from him too. My biggest fear is that one day I won't be enough. And someone will take you from me.."

Mitch felt tears forming in his eyes, but continued to listen attentively.

Scott cleared his throat. "And I just fear that Avi will finally do it. I've saved you so many times.. But with him I have to sit and watch it happen. I'm not allowed to say anything... I just want to protect you from the world, Mitchell. I really do."

Scott decided he'd stop rambling when he felt Mitch's warm tears falling on his chest.

Scott squeezed him tighter. "Please don't cry. I'm sorry.."

Mitch pushed back just enough so that he could look into Scott's eyes. "I know you'd never let anything happen to me. I trust you with my life. But.. Do you trust me?"

"Of course I do."

Mitch stared intently into Scott's blue eyes. "I don't know if you do. If you did, you wouldn't freak out every time an Alpha comes near me. You'd trust that I would never betray you. I could not possibly love someone more than I love you. I may be insecure of my body, but you're insecure too. You're afraid of loss."

Scott removed his arms from Mitch's body. "Of course I'm afraid of loss! That doesn't make me insecure. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me. So excuse me for not wanting you to go anywhere anytime soon."

"If you're not insecure, prove it. Let Avi stay in here tonight." Mitch countered.

"Absolutely not."

Mitch raised an eyebrow. "And why not?"

"He'll touch you again." Scott answered quickly.

"So what?"

"So, you're mine."

Mitch rolled his eyes. "I know that. So it won't matter if he touches me."

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I said no. And that's final. Do you understand?" Scott growled.

Mitch shrunk into himself. "Okay. I'm sorry. I just hate that he's had to be alone for so long.."

Scott sighed.

Ah, the guilt trip.

Well played, Grassi.

Scott squinted at him. "He can stay if I'm in between you two."

Mitch's eyes lit up. "Really?"

"Just go get him before I change my mind."

*******

Scott now laid in the middle of Mitch and Avi, arms folded over his chest.

Avi turned over. "If you really don't want me here, I'll go."

"No. It's fine. I'm just trying to put myself in your shoes. And quite frankly, I wouldn't want to be alone either." Scott mumbled.

Avi smiled a little, and then closed his eyes. "Goodnight Scott. Mitchell."

Mitch set his head on Scott's chest and Scott wrapped an arm around him before pulling the covers up a little more.

The last thing Scott heard before falling asleep was Avi mumbling, "supposed to be cold tomorrow.."

******