Chapter 131

Avi walked into the room slowly, his heart nearly breaking at the sight before him.

Scott curled up beside Mitch, half on top of him, while Kevin sat beside them holding Scott's hand.

Kirstie sat by Mitch on the bed, talking mindlessly about one of her many T.V. shows.

Avi hesitated to say anything, but Mitch had already smelled him and was staring at him expectantly.

Avi tried to give him a smile, but failed to do so casually. "Can I speak to Scott?"

Kevin frowned at him, not saying a word.

Scott sat up. "Okay.. Hold on."

He tried to climb over them, but Kevin stopped him. "You don't have to, Scott."

Scott stood beside the bed and shrugged. "It's fine. Keep him warm for me Kirst." He motioned to Mitch with a smile, trying to break the tension.

She smiled back and snuggled up to Mitch.

Kevin just glared at Avi.

Avi finally acknowledged his angered stare after Scott had walked past him. "Would it make you feel better if you came with us?"

Kevin squinted at him, before standing up. "Yes."

Avi left the door open as he walked down the hall, inviting Kevin to follow.

Scott was sitting on Avi and Kirstin's bed when Avi walked in.

When Avi stood in front of him, Kevin sat down beside him.

Avi took a deep breath before starting. "So.. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. I might've taken things a little too far.."

Kevin scoffed. "You think?"

Scott hushed him. "Be careful, Beta. He's still your leader."

Kevin turned to him then. "Why are you defending him? He just humiliated you in front of your whole pack, including your mate. It was uncalled for, and rude-"

Scott interrupted him. "I'm not defending him. I'm protecting you. Just because you're angry, doesn't mean you can disrespect your Alpha. You of all people should know that."

Kevin sighed and turned to face Avi again. "I'm sorry, Sir. Continue, please."

Avi hesitated before beginning again. "I know I humiliated him. I know I hurt him. I know. And Mitchell is mad at me, Kirstin thinks I'm a monster, Kevin clearly hates me. I know."

He crossed his arms over his torso and looked away from them. "I just wanted to apologize. You had that punishment coming for a long time. I didn't even conduct the full punishment."

Kevin resisted rolling his eyes. "There's no excuse. If he didn't want to tell you that, you shouldn't have smacked him around until he spilled."

Avi looked back over at him. "Kevin, this doesn't really concern you."

"Yes it does. You know Scott wouldn't usually have a problem arguing with you. But now he's afraid of you, and I'm not going to just let this happen because he can't speak up for himself."

Avi grit his teeth. "See, now you're asking for a punishment."

Kevin laughed once humorlessly. "Do your worst. I don't care. I haven't done anything wrong. If you really think punishing me is going to fix this.. Go ahead."

Scott tugged on his arm once. "Kevin, stop it. He's not kidding around."

Kevin kept his eyes on Avi, daringly. "I'm not afraid of him. He's got more problems than any of us. That's why he acts this way."

Avi growled and pulled him up by the arm. "I was just apologizing to him. I know what I did was wrong. But it could have been worse, yes? I could have stripped him down. I could've given him 30 hits. I could've whipped him, for Christ's sake. But I didn't. So I'd calm down, if I were you."

Kevin yanked his arm out of Avi's grip. "God, what happened to you? My best friend is in there somewhere. But this isn't him."

Scott stood from the bed and pushed Kevin towards the door. "Get out of here. I'll take care of this, okay? I'll be fine."

Kevin nodded once and walked straight out the door without sparing either of them a second glance.

Scott sighed when he'd gone, and turned around slowly. "You don't have to apologize to me. I know it could've been worse. I deserved the punishment for talking back so many times. That's all there is to it."

Avi just stared at him. "Are you afraid of me now? Is Mitchell? Is Kirstin? God.. Do they all hate me now?"

Scott gave him a sympathetic smile. "They don't hate you. I'm not afraid of you. I just think they're making this a bigger deal than it should be. I mean, you just hit me a couple of times. You've had to do it to everyone by now. It's not like I'm some fragile little Omega. I'm fine."

Avi blinked a few times, unmoving. "Are they scared of me?"

Scott reached a hand out to pat Avi's back. "Maybe. Honestly, I think Mitch is just worried about me. He's always been a little scared of you. I think Kirstie just needs an explanation. And Kevin.. Well. Who can really tell what's going on in his brain?"

Avi smiled a little. "I know. Do you think.. Maybe I should just talk to them individually? Or, better yet." He laughed a little, but it was clearly sarcastic. "I should just step down from Lead Alpha."

Scott tilted his head a little. "You'd do that? Seriously, don't. Don't ever step down. Talk to them separately. Except.. I might have to be in here with you when you talk to Mitch."

Avi frowned. "He's really afraid of me? I don't want him to be afraid.. He was like. My best friend when I brought him into this pack."

Scott opened the door and winked at Avi before leaving. "Maybe you shouldn't threated to punish people every ten seconds. Then maybe that wouldn't happen."

Avi frowned at the open door.

Did he really threaten to punish people every-

Yes.

Scott poked his head back in the doorway. "Hey? I love you."

Avi tried to smile. "You're an idiot."

"For loving you? I don't think so."

Avi rolled his eyes. "I love you too, Rookie."

*******