Chapter 71

He closed the door to the bedroom behind him. "Sir?"

Scott was just standing in front of him, arms crossed over his chest. "Tell me it wasn't Avi."

Mitch shook his head. "Oh, no. It was just me. I dropped the jar of jelly, and then I cut myself on a piece of it when I was cleaning it up."

Scott sighed and dropped his arms back to his sides. "Thank God."

Mitch frowned and looked Scott in the eye. "How's your shoulder?"

Scott tilted his head a little. "That was random."

"I was just thinking 'hey, we're both hurt now.' And then I wondered how you were feeling. Is your head okay?"

Scott shrugged. "Hurts sometimes, but it's alright."

"Ankle?"

Scott smiled. "Good as new."

"Shoulder? And please don't lie to me."

Scott shrugged. "Better than yesterday."

Mitch squinted at him. He walked forward and lifted the bottom of Scott's shirt, but Scott's hands grabbed his and held the shirt down. "What are you doing?"

Mitch didn't move. "I just want to see how bruised it is."

"I'm not going to show you if you're going to freak out. You'll blame yourself. And it's not your fault." Scott said softly, but confidently.

Mitch tried to lift the shirt again, but Scott's arms quickly overpowered and kept their hands in place. "Are you going to blame yourself?"

Mitch hesitated, and then tried to pull his hands away but Scott held on.

Scott raised an eyebrow. "Well?"

Mitch sighed. "That's not fair. Of course I'll blame myself. It's my fault, after all."

Scott pulled Mitch's hands from the hem of his shirt and brought them to his mouth to kiss them.

Scott kept holding his hands and shook his head at him slowly. "It's not your fault, my love. Protection is my promise to you. It's what I live for. Nothing that happened to me is your fault. You need to get that thought out of your head right now. How many times do I have to tell you it's not your fault before you'll believe me?"

Mitch just looked at their hands. "I don't know. It is my fault. I got you into that situation, and I could've gotten you hurt worse than I did. You could've been killed.. Or your head injury could have been worse.. And it's all my fault."

Scott took their hands and helped Mitch finally take off Scott's shirt.

Scott cringed when he had to lift his shoulder to get the shirt completely off.

Mitch froze when he smelled the pain.

Scott handed Mitch his shirt, and turned to the side so Mitch could see his shoulder.

Mitch clung to the shirt and frowned at Scott's shoulder. "Sir.. Oh my God.. That must hurt so bad.."

Scott shrugged, and Mitch reached out to touch Scott's shoulder.

Mitch gently put his hand on Scott's shoulder, but then pulled away as if it burned him. "D-Does it hurt all the time?"

Scott turned back around, forcing Mitch to meet his eyes. Scott smiled at him. "No, Sweetheart. It doesn't. It rarely ever hurts. Just when I move it weird. You can touch it, don't be afraid. I promise you won't hurt me."

Mitch hesitantly reached out again, this time letting his hand sit there a moment. "I'm sorry this happened to you."

Scott leaned forward and kissed Mitch's forehead. "It's fine. I'm over it. Why aren't you?"

Mitch sighed and let his hand fall from Scott's arm. "Fine. Okay? Fine. I'm over it. I'm glad you're hurt. Because apparently, I'm not allowed to care."

He turned around to leave but Scott grabbed his arm. "Mitchell. Stop that. I told you to stop thinking like that, didn't I? And you didn't listen."

Mitch pulled his arm away from Scott. "Sir. I respect you in every aspect of the word. I listen to your every command. Always. But you can't control my feelings, I'm sorry. I'm really trying not to feel guilty, I promise. But I can't help it."

Scott grabbed his arm again. "Don't pull away from me. I know I can't control your thoughts. But you can. And I'm telling you that it's not your fault. It's that Alpha's fault. He's the one who hit me."

"But I'm the one who got you into that situation."

"Well I just so happen to love you. I love you with all my heart. And I'd much rather have a bruised shoulder than anything he was about to do to you." Scott said honestly.

Mitch tilted his head. "What.. What would he have done to me?" He asked quietly.

Scott looked at him sadly. "You don't have to worry about that."

"But I want to know."

"I'm not going to tell you."

"Then I'll ask Kevin." Mitch said, turning around like he actually would.

Scott caught his arm again. "You will not."

"Then you tell me."

Scott finally sighed. "Why do you want to know so badly?"

Mitch shrugged. "I'm just curious."

"You'll have nightmares again."

"No I won't."

"Lie."

Mitch scoffed. "Maybe I'll ask Avi instead."

Scott dropped his hand from Mitch's arm, and his mouth opened a little. "You wouldn't."

Mitch smirked. "Watch me."

He turned on his heel and walked straight out the door, not giving Scott a chance to stop him.

Mitch knocked on Avi's door, and before he heard anything, Kirstin came barreling out of the room in tears.

Mitch caught her before she nearly fell on her face. "Oh my God, Kirst. What's wrong?!"

Kirstie just shook her head and let out a loud sob. "Need.. Need to talk to Scott."

Mitch internally scoffed at the name. He moved out of her way. "Be my guest."

She ran past him into his bedroom, sobbing all the way.

Mitch was so upset and angry at the same time.. He didn't know what to do.

Mad at Scott, sad for Kirstie, mad at Avi..

Mitch shook his head at himself and walked into Avi's room.

Mitch closed the door, and that's what made Avi look at him.

Avi was just standing by the window, looking lost in thought. "Yes?"

Mitch walked over to him. "Are you alright..?"

"I guess."

Mitch met Avi's eyes, and realized he looked as sad as Kirstin.

If not more.

Mitch tilted his head. "What.. What happened with Kirstie?"

Avi shook his head and looked out the window.

Mitch walked closer to him and stared at the side of his emotionless face. "Please talk to me.."

Avi looked down at the ground, and Mitch could've sworn he saw tears forming in his eyes.

"She.. Doesn't want to have her Heat with me.."

*******