Chapter 37

Scott was up in an instant. "What?! They can't do that. Can they?? What are they testing on??"

Avi stood too. "They've never done that before. They can't steal my Omegas. Since when?"

Kevin's mouth hung wide open as he listened to them all fire questions at him. "I-I.. I don't know! Guys, stop. Chill out. There's a meeting the Alphas must attend-"

"When?" Scott barked.

Kevin tried his sentence again. "There's a meeting for the Alphas tomorrow, on what the Omegas will be tested on. They assume that the Omegas will be ready as soon as possible. So the testing will start the day after."

Now Mitch was on his feet behind Scott. "One day? Oh God."

Scott heard Mitch say this, even thought it appeared no one else did.

Avi continued to ask questions, and Kevin gave answers to the best of his ability.

Scott's eyes were dangerously dark, but not yet red. "The Omegas get one day to prepare?"

Kevin looked at him with worry. "I tried to get more time. They expected the Omegas to be ready tomorrow. I told them it wasn't fair if you didn't know what they'd be tested on, so they said they'd meet with you two. I'm sorry, there was really nothing I could do."

Avi's eyes began to darken too. "Can The Counsel really do that? Take them away?"

Kevin's sad nod had Mitch clinging onto Scott's arm.

Kirstin just stood behind everyone with her mouth wide open.

Kevin looked around at them. "I'm really sorry, you guys."

Avi growled. "No you're not. You don't have this problem. Betas are exempt from this testing."

Mitch barely whispered, "it's not his fault."

He really didn't intend anyone to hear it, especially Avi.

He doesn't even know why he said it, really.

Avi's head snapped towards him, his eyes glowing red. "What did you just say to me?"

Mitch cowered behind Scott. "Nothing, Sir."

Avi took a step closer to him and Scott had to restrain himself from putting a hand on his chest and telling him to calm the hell down.

Avi looked around Scott to see the terrified Omega. "Do you want to be taken away? From us? From Scott?"

Mitch swallowed. He was too afraid to even answer.

Unfortunately..

"Answer me when I speak to you, Omega!" Avi yelled.

Scott cringed.

Oh shit.
Mitch was really in for it now.

Scott could feel Mitch's body trembling against his back as he attempted to hide behind Scott.

Mitch flinched at the command. "I'm so very sorry, Alpha. I only meant that this isn't Kevin's fault.. He was just the messenger.. He isn't the one to blame."

Avi squinted at him.

Mitch froze as he awaited Avi's answer.

Avi opened his mouth, but the smell of Mitch's fear was just too much for Scott.

He turned and grabbed Mitch's forearm before Avi could get a single syllable out.

Scott pushed past Kevin with Mitch right behind him. "Be right back. Maybe." He mumbled.

He pushed Mitch into their room, and the closed the door.

He lingered there a moment too long, and set his forehead on the wood of the door to concentrate on his eye color fading back to blue.

Mitch cautiously came up behind him. "S-Sir?"

Scott sighed and turned around.

Mitch had tears in his eyes, as he looked at Scott questioningly.

Scott closed his eyes, and tugged Mitch's arm to pull him into a hug.

Mitch's warm tears flowed quietly down his face as he pushed his nose into Scott's chest. "A-Are they going to s-send me away?"

Scott squeezed him tighter. "I will never let them take you away from me."

"B-But if I fail the tests-"

"You can't fail. And you won't. I'll go to that meeting, and we'll work on everything they tell me. What could they possibly test on? Cleaning? I wouldn't worry about it." Scott said encouragingly, although he was wondering the same thing.

Could they really take his Omega away from him?

After they've Marked and everything?

And what about Kirstie?

Mitch sniffed Scott's chest. "You're not sure. You don't know either. Oh God, Alpha.."

Scott cursed himself for letting Mitch figure out his feelings. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. We'll make it though this how we make it through everything else."

"Drunk?"

Scott let out a bark of laughter and rubbed Mitch's back. "Not exactly what I was thinking, and- Hey! You're not allowed to drink yet."

"What were you thinking, then?"

"We'll make it out together, my love."

******