Chapter 45

Mitch was sitting on the edge of the bed, watching Scott pace in front of him.

Mitch gazed out the window for a second, realizing it was late in the afternoon.

Long day.

Eventually Scott sighed and sat down, running his hands through his hair.

Mitch turned towards him and put a hand on his back. "You okay, Alpha?"

Scott sighed again instead of answering.

Mitch ran his hand up and down Scott's muscular back, he leaned in and kissed Scott's shoulder. "Sir.. What's on your mind? Is everything okay?"

"I just don't want Kirstin to leave.." He mumbled.

Mitch tsked. "None of us do. We'll do everything we can."

Scott stared at the ground, and Mitch continued to rub his back.

Mitch wondered, suddenly, if Scott would be as broken up about this if Mitch had failed.

What if it was Mitch rather than Kirstin?

Maybe it would be better that way.

Avi wouldn't be so upset, Kirstie wouldn't be crying all day, Scott wouldn't seem so distant..

But what would Scott think about it?

Mitch stared at the side of Scott's head, wondering.

Mitch stood up all of a sudden, thoughts consuming him.

Scott continued sitting, but grabbed Mitch's hand. "Hey.. What?"

Mitch pulled his hand away. "It should be me."

"What should?"

Mitch looked down at him. "I should be sent away. Maybe we can.. Trade? I don't know.."

Scott stood. "What would make you say that? Do you want to leave?"

Mitch shook his head and opened his mouth, but Scott beat him to it. "Did I do something?"

Mitch shook his head again. "No, of course not. I just think.. Wouldn't it be easier if I left, instead of her?"

"Not to me."

Mitch sighed. "But everyone is so upset and-"

"And it wouldn't be any different if it were you in her place. Is that really what you think? That we would miss you any less than we would miss her?" Scott demanded.

Mitch shrugged. "I don't know.. You won't tell me how you feel. I just thought you would want-"

"Stop."

"But I-"

"Just stop." Scott said, pulling Mitch into a hug. "You don't ever have to play games with me, Sweetheart."

"You don't exactly speak your mind, Alpha."

Scott pulled away and held Mitch by the shoulders. "Then just ask. You can ask me anything."

******

Kevin had gathered the whole pack in the living room, where they were now awkwardly sat on the couch.

Mitch refused to sit on Scott's lap because of Kirstie's situation.

Kevin had several papers strewn out on the coffee table, some in his hands and on the floor.

Avi glanced around as Kevin threw around papers to find whatever he was looking for. "You know you'll be cleaning all of this up, right?"

Kevin nodded. "Oh! I found it! Okay. So I made some calls, and a lot of packs in the area are having this same issue. One, and sometimes two, Omegas are being sent away in every pack. There aren't enough packs to just switch all the Omegas around and hope they'll be different."

Avi nodded and looked at Scott. "Fair point. Continue."

Kevin nodded, and grabbed a few other papers. "This is a list of all the Omegas being sent away. I think The Counsel is going to use them for something else.. The Seconds Of Summer pack brought up an interesting point. Some of the packs think that The Counsel is preparing for some sort of war."

Mitch looked at Scott. "An Omega army?"

Scott looked at him and then at Avi. "But then why would they only take the Omegas that failed the test? Wouldn't they want the ones that passed?"

Avi nodded and looked at Kevin. "And on that same note, wouldn't they want Alphas for an army? Omegas aren't built to do harm."

Kevin shrugged. "They can't just send them around. You can't recycle Omegas. The Counsel is going to take the Omegas, and keep them. The purpose of it, is beyond me. The Army doesn't make sense, fine. But what else would they be needed for?"

Both Mitch and Kirstin looked at Avi for an answer.

Avi hummed in thought. "Servants? Housekeepers?"

Scott looked at him too. "But then, again. Why would they want the ones that failed?"

"Uh oh." Kevin mumbled.

Four heads snapped towards him.

"I-I shouldn't say this in front of the Omegas.." Kevin said sadly.

Mitch stood, and Kirstie followed.

As they walked down the hall, Scott talked loud enough so that Mitch could hear him. "Wait in my room, baby. I'll be there in a second. And stop being nervous, I can smell it."

Mitch turned, giggled, and then walked into their room while Kirstin walked into hers.

Kevin waited til they were gone, and then faced Avi. "They're going to exterminate them."

******