Chapter 22

Kirstin jumped off the couch. "No way! Let me see it!"

Kevin stood up to see as well, as Mitch tilted his head to the side to reveal the Mark.

Kirstie carefully poked it, then pulled away and squealed excitedly. "Oh my! This is so cool!"

Kevin looked back and forth from Kirstin's neck to Mitch's when he noticed something.

See, Betas are usually very wise, while Alphas are powerful.

Omegas are very selfless, and very good at taking care of others.

Kevin acquired this wisdom, and was using it now as he noticed the differences in the Mark.

Kirstie and Mitch were happily chatting, until confusion set in on Kevin's face. "Woah.." He said quietly.

Mitch and Kirstin faced him. Kirstie spoke up, "What's wrong, Kev?"

Kevin shook his head with his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Stand next to each other and let me see your Marks really quick."

Both did as told, and Kevin looked at each of their Marks skeptically.

Suddenly he backed away. "Uh oh. Avi's not going to like that."

This got Kirstin even more interested. "What isn't he going to like?"

Kevin pointed at her neck. "Your Mark isn't as deep as Mitch's. And it's not because it isn't as recent, I think.. Oh God. I hope I'm wrong. But I think Scott's beginning to show signs of surpassing Avi's strength."

Mitch straightened out his neck to look at Kevin correctly. "What? Are you sure?"

Kevin shook his head and glanced at Mitch's neck again. "I'm not completely sure, but look at your Mark. Look at her's. Scott's was deeper, and therefore more powerful of a bite. It's either the difference of love they have for each of you, or it's based on strength. If it's based on strength.. Scott just might be more powerful than Avi."

Mitch's eyebrows raised. "Wow."

And that was all that was said, as the three stood still in fear.

******

About a half hour after this discussion, the five were all seated for lunch.

It was awkwardly silent, and neither of the leaders knew why.

Scott cleared his throat. "So.. Kevin. How did your date go?"

This question had the whole table intrigued.

Mitch sat up straighter, and Kirstie smiled at Kevin.

Kevin smiled back. "Well.. I really like her. Her pack seemed approving of me, which is usually the hardest part. She's so amazing. I can't wait for you all to meet her."

Avi's eyes crinkled at the sides as he smiled. "That sounds wonderful. I'm excited to meet her. You'll bring her for dinner sometime, or something along those lines?"

Kevin nodded. "Sure thing. Just tell me when the best time is for you."

Avi nodded and continued eating. "We'll talk."

*****

That night, when everyone went to bed, Avi kept Scott for a few minutes while he sent everyone else to bed.

Kevin went to his bedroom happily, filled with thoughts of his beautiful Victoria.

Kirstie gave Avi a kiss on the cheek before retreating to her bedroom to get ready for bed.

Mitch tried to scurry off without bothering anyone, but Scott grabbed him in a hug from behind.

Scott then kissed his cheek and told him to wait for him before falling asleep.

Scott then leaned on the wall of the hallway. "Did you need to talk to me, Sir?"

Avi nodded and silently waved him over to where he was standing at the other end of the hall that was the closest to the living room, away from the bedrooms.

Scott walked over and looked down at Avi as he stood before him.

Avi glanced down the hall to make sure all the bedroom doors were closed, before he looked back at Scott. "Did you hear Kevin earlier? Talking to the Omegas? Or has Mitchell said anything?"

Scott shook his head. "Haven't heard anything at all. What happened?"

Avi lowered his voice in fear of one of the Omegas hearing him. "I don't really know. They were taking about Kirstin and Mitch's Marks. What's different about them? They were freaking out about it."

Scott tilted his head in curiosity. "I don't.. What do you mean what's different? There isn't anything different."

Avi sighed. "We'll probably have to talk to Kevin. He knows. He's the one that said it, I'm sure."

Scott nodded. "Alright. We'll ask in the morning. Maybe we can do it before the Omegas wake up. I'll see if I can get anything out of Mitch tonight."

Avi agreed. "I'll do the same with Kirstin. And if neither of us prevail, we'll ask Kevin."

Scott nodded and covered his mouth as he yawned.

Avi smiled at him and pat him on the shoulder. "Go to bed, tough guy. Tell Mitchell I said goodnight."

Scott nodded and turned to leave as he yawned again.

******