Chapter 24

Scott slowly blinks himself awake. Immediately as he shifts, Mitch jumps awake.

Mitch was tucked into Scott's arm, with his head lying on Scott's chest.

He glanced up at Scott through his eyelashes.

Scott smiles down at him. "Good morning, my love."

Mitch smiles too. "Morning."

Scott rubs his hand up and down Mitch's back. "When was the last time you had a nightmare?"

"The last time you caught me."

Scott nodded. "Good. And not since then?"

Mitch shook his head. "Nope. Nightmare-free."

Scott smiled, and kissed the top of Mitch's head.

Mitch suddenly looked at the door. "Alpha's coming.." He mumbled.

Scott smiled at him as he pulled the sheets up over Mitch's lower half.

Avi poked his head in the door. "Good morning, you two. Scott I need to talk to you, whenever you have a second."

Scott nodded, and Avi smiled at them before leaving.

Scott sighed, and Mitch looked at him with concerned eyes. "Are you in trouble, Sir?"

Scott shrugged. "I don't think so, but who knows? It's probably about what you told me. I bet Kirstin told him too."

Mitch stiffened at that. "I know you keep saying it's not possible, but what if? What if you're stronger? What would happen?"

Scott looked down at Mitch's worried eyes, and smiled reassuringly. "Nothing will happen. Don't worry. I'll take care of it."

Mitch nodded and kissed a spot on Scott's chest before laying back down. "Do you have to go now?"

"Probably."

Mitch started to push himself off of Scott, but Scott grabbed his arms and pulled him in for a quick kiss.

When he was done, Scott set Mitch back where he was.

Mitch smiled at him and shook his head. "You could've just asked."

Scott had already started moving off of the bed. "But I only knew I wanted it for that split second. I'll ask next time. I promise."

"You don't have to ask, I was just saying. In fact, if you ask you might freak out Avi."

Scott stretched, and pulled on some jeans that were lying on the floor. "But if you'd rather that I ask, I'll ask."

"I like those jeans on you." Mitch offered from the bed.

Scott glanced up at him as he zipped up the jeans. "You're complimenting me to change the subject. I'll ask next time. Deal?"

"Deal. But I really do like those jeans."

*****

Scott walked out of the room and began down the hall.

He turned into the living room, and Avi was standing there waiting.

Scott walked a little quicker. "I'm sorry to keep you waiting, Sir."

"No, I wasn't waiting. I was just thinking. Y'know, you're starting to make this shirtless-ness a thing."

Scott laughed. "Sorry. The laziness already was a thing."

Avi laughed. "Anyways. Did Mitchell tell you?"

Scott nodded.

"Kirstie told me too. What do you think?"

Scott looked at his feet, before looking back up at Avi. "I just think that.. That in the moment of it.. I just think I bit him harder. I don't think it means I'm stronger."

Avi tilted his head as he thought about that. "That's a good point. You don't think you're stronger? I think you might be."

Scott looked taken back. "You.. What?"

Avi shrugged. "You might be stronger than I am." He stated it like it was actually possible, and that's what confused Scott.

Scott didn't even answer. He was absolutely floored that Avi would say something like that.

Avi smiled at his speechlessness. "I don't know why that's so shocking to you.. You don't think you are?"

Scott just silently shook his head.

Avi shook his head. "Come on, Scott. You just care about so much. You passion drives your power to a higher level. For example, if someone touched Mitch in the wrong way, you would exhibit power that I could never even dream of unless in an actual fight for the pack. Does that make sense?"

Scott nodded. "Yes, sir. So my ability to protect is the actual measure of my power?"

"I think so. That's how I see it. Do you agree? If you don't, please explain the real reason to me. This is all I can come up with." Avi said.

Scott shook his head in disbelief. "I don't understand. How could I be stronger than you? It's not possible. Not even to protect."

Avi thought about it, and both men were quiet for a while.

Suddenly Avi looked up at him. "Mitchell."

Scott met his eyes. "What about him?"

"He makes you more powerful than me."

Scott looked at him curiously. "How?"

"Your possessiveness over him. If I ever did anything to Mitch, I have no doubt you could beat me in a fight." Avi evaluated.

Scott nodded slowly. "But anything else, you are stronger than I am. I know you are. You think I'm stronger than I really am."

"You are exactly as strong as I make you out to be. I might be able to beat you, but it is out of pure superiority. Don't doubt yourself. You're still of the same ranking as I am. Keep your head held high, Alpha." Avi encouraged.

*******