Chapter 144

Scott and Mitch were sat next to each other on the edge of Avi's bed.

Avi stood beside his father, in front of the two.

He pointed at Scott. "You. Come stand right here."

Scott stood beside him, all three of them facing Mitch.

Mr. Kaplan set his hand on Scott's back, but Scott moved away, giving him a weird look.

Mitch fiddled his hands around on his lap, his head bowed.

Avi's father glared at him. "This 'innocent' act. It doesn't fool me. I knew something was wrong with this pack, but I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. But now I think I've got it."

Scott tapped his shoulder. "It's not an act. He is not the problem, if there is one."

Avi's dad shook his head. "No. He is the problem. I've only been here for a couple of hours, and he's screwed up in front of me enough times to last an Omega's lifetime."

Mitch frowned and looked up. "I am so sorry, Sir. I didn't mean to screw up so much."

Avi shook his head. "You didn't screw up, Peanut. Dad's just being rude for some reason."

His father turned to him. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me. Don't yell at him. You know he didn't intend to hurt Mom. She said so herself." Avi tried to reason.

Mitch wrapped his arms around his midsection as he listened to them bicker.

Scott took a step towards him in hopes of comforting him, but Avi's father stopped him with a hand on his chest. "Leave him. He doesn't deserve comfort right now."

Mitch pouted and looked down at his lap.

Scott tried to walk toward him again, but this time Avi's dad pushed him away. "I said no."

Scott squinted at him. "What did he do that upset you? You know he didn't mean to hurt your Omega. So what is it, really?"

"When I had my first conversation with him, he spoke to me without making eye contact with me. Disrespectful. Then he tried to make excuses. Disobedient. And finally, the shirt he was wearing, and still is, is entirely inappropriate." The father growled, staring at Mitch.

Avi shook his head. "How is that inappropriate? I think he looks great."

His father huffed. "Great. Really great for someone like him."

Scott crossed his arms over his chest. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Why would a shirt be okay if I can see inside it? It clearly doesn't fit right, and the arm holes fall down so low that I can see his entire top half. In short, inappropriate." Avi's dad explained.

Scott pushed past him and grabbed Mitch's arm.

He stood him up and pulled him towards the door.

Scott turned and covered Mitch's ears with his hands. "He looks fucking adorable, and fuck you for thinking otherwise."

Then he removed his hands, and pulled Mitch out of the room.

Avi turned towards his father then, slowly losing more and more respect for him. "Listen. That Omega has been through so much in his life, you couldn't even believe it. He's practically living in a horror movie. He doesn't need you coming in and judging him. You're scaring him."

Avi's father shook his head. "That's not what I'm doing. I'm not trying to scare him. I think you two let him get away with too much. Because he's, what? Adorable?"

"We let him get away with things because his other pack was unforgiving of even the slightest mistakes. He knows how to be the ideal Omega, because he was beaten into perfection. But when he's perfect, his personality falls away. And I'd rather have an imperfect Mitchell, than a perfect Omega with nothing on the inside."

His father just stared at him. "I'll believe it when I see it."

Avi sighed and ran one of his hands over his face. "You want to see the perfect Omega. If I command him to act like he used to, you'll leave him alone afterwards? You just want him to prove himself."

Avi's dad nodded. "Just for one day."

Avi rolled his eyes and looked away. "Fine. But then you need to apologize to him for the way you've been acting. And then I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

He nodded. "That's fair."

******

Avi explained it all to Scott, who agreed after much persuasion.

That night, Kevin bunked with Scott and Mitch.

Mitch was completely freaking out about having to act like he used to.

Kevin held his hand, while Scott cuddled up to him to calm him.

Esther felt very uncomfortable to join her brother and his Omega in bed.

She and Kirstin were actually getting along quite well.

Avi laid in the middle of the bed with an arm around both of the Omegas next to him.

He kissed both of their foreheads, as he struggled to fall asleep.

Kirstie looked up at him. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah.. Just. Tomorrow is going to be terrible. I don't want Mitchell to have to remember things from that house. I don't want him to ever feel like he has to act that way in front of us." Avi said quietly.

Kirstin grabbed one of Avi's hands and kissed it. "Sir.. Mitch knows that. He just wants to make your dad happy so you won't be taken away. He'd do anything to keep you in this pack."

Avi sighed. "I know. He's too nice for his own good."

Esther set her head on Avi's shoulder. "He's a real sweetheart. You should've heard him when he knocked Mom over by accident. We all knew he didn't mean to do it, but I've never heard someone apologize so much in my entire life."

Kirstie giggled. "My thoughts exactly when I first met him."

Avi smiled and stared at the ceiling.

Everyone was quiet for a little while, Kirstie even closed her eyes for a moment.

Avi spoke up again, quieter. "He's going to make Dad proud of me."

Esther smiled up at him. "Dad has always been proud of you. He talks about you all the time."

"I don't believe you. He wants me to be like everyone else. And!" Avi paused to laugh a little. "He has an Alpha crush on Scott!"

Kirstie giggled loudly and Esther smiled at him.

Kirstin looked at Esther. "Honestly? Who doesn't have a crush on him?"

Esther laughed and nodded. "I know. I've only been here since lunch, and even I know he's a cutie."

Avi glared at both of them. "You guys have crushes on him? Ugh. God."

Kirstin leaned up and kissed Avi's cheek. "I'm just saying he's cute. I'm still crazy in love with you. Nothing will ever change that."

Avi held both of them a little tighter. "Do you have crushes on me too?"

Esther pushed on him a little. "Ew. You wish."

********