Chapter 101

Travis held up one of Mitch's wrists. "What are these burns from?"

"Omega Snatchers." Scott replied shortly, not wanting to bring any memories back.

Travis looked at Mitch expectantly, but then back at Scott. "Can you prove it?"

Scott crossed his arms over his chest. "You don't believe me?"

Travis dropped Mitch's arm. "I've seen a lot of heartbreaking things happen to this Omega. I just need to be sure this isn't one of those things."

Scott dropped his aggressive stance and looked at Avi. "Sir? I- I don't know how I could prove that."

Avi squinted at Travis. "The night it happened, Scott got hurt. If I showed you what happened to him, would you believe us?"

"I might."

Scott allowed Avi to lift the hem of his shirt, and take it off.

Scott turned sideways to show Travis his still slightly bruised shoulder.

Avi pointed at it as he spoke. "It's healed a lot since the accident. He used to not even be able to lift things, and it was ugly. The bruise was awful."

Travis pursed his lips for a few seconds. "Fine. Fine I believe you. Put your shirt back on. I'm sorry about that.. I just can never be too careful with this little guy."

Scott nodded as he slipped his shirt over his head. "I understand. Just know that I would never, not in a million years, hurt him. Never, ever. I will die before I hurt him. You just have to trust me."

Mitch started getting dressed again, and Travis stared at Scott.

Avi led both Omegas out of the room, leaving Scott and Travis to do whatever.

Travis sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "I just don't want him getting hurt anymore."

"I would never hurt him." Scott said confidently.

Travis met his eyes for a second. "You keep saying that, but look at you! You're gigantic, compared to him. You could do anything you wanted to him, throw in all your Alpha power.. I don't even want to know. I trust Avi with everything I have. But he can't always be there."

Scott sighed. "I know. People keep telling me that. But doesn't it mean anything to you that I'm this 'gigantic' and haven't hurt him the whole time we've been together? I made sure he was ready before I Marked him. I've protected him with everything I have. Almost died trying to save him from those damn Omega Snatchers."

Travis took a deep breath. "What about other things? Like taking care of him?"

"I really don't need to justify myself to you. But for Mitch's sake, I will. He's small, you know that. I've had to make his portions larger to keep him eating. He doesn't like it very much, but it keeps him at a healthy weight, so I'll make him do it. He used to be very insecure about himself. I'm sure you know that too. Well did you notice how he isn't anymore? Care to think about who did that?"

Travis stared at him.

Scott stared right back.

Travis sighed. "You're right. I'm sorry. You're probably exactly what he needs.. I just worry. I'm sorry."

"You sound like Avi." Scott grumbled.

"You're free to go. Sorry about that. Just.. God. Please take care of him." Travis begged, opening the door for Scott.

Scott walked right past him. "Always do."

********

When they got back to the cabin, Avi told Kevin they'd need him to stay with Kirstin when they left.

He held a meeting with the members of his pack to explain what would happen the next day.

All the packs were to drive down to the county where The Counsel Headquarters were located.

The Betas and Omegas, sans Mitchell, would stay in a hotel about two miles away from HQ.

That is when the Alphas would conduct the break in.

*******

That night Scott and Avi loaded up their car with everyone's belongings.

Afterwards, Avi went straight into his room and suggested that the others do the same.

Avi closed his bedroom door behind him, and frowned at Kirstin's sad looking figure sitting on the bed.

He approached her slowly. "What's wrong, Kit Kat?"

She shook her head, but kept her knees tucked to her chest.

"Kirstin.." Avi warned.

"It's nothing, Sir."

Avi climbed on the bed next to her and wrapped an arm around her, slowly running his hand up and down her upper arm. "Tell me, baby."

"I just don't want you to leave, Sir." She admitted quietly, staring straight ahead.

Avi stared at the side of her head. "I know.. But I won't be gone long."

She looked at him for a moment, tears barely visible in her eyes. "What if something happens to you? Or Scott? Mitch would be absolutely destroyed.."

Avi smiled reassuringly at her. "Nothing will happen. Scott and I are two of the strongest Alphas in the area. We're going to be just fine."

Kirstin shook her head and set her forehead on her knees. "But what if..?"

"You're going to make yourself crazy if you keep imagining the possibilities. You don't think I'm as strong as I say I am? You don't trust that I can protect myself?" Avi questioned, somewhat offended.

Kirstin looked at him again, and smiled regardless of the tears in her eyes. "No, Sir. I just think that bad things happen to good people. And I don't want anything to happen to you. Ever.."

Avi smiled back, and leaned in to kiss her.

He rested a hand on her cheek as the kiss deepened.

When Kirstin finally pulled away, Avi rested his forehead against hers.

She stared into his eyes. "Promise you'll come back to me..."

Avi smiled and pecked her lips again. "I promise."

*******

Scott had almost fallen asleep that night, Mitch's head on his chest, when he heard Mitch whisper almost inaudibly, "Alpha?"

Scott forced his eyes open to keep himself awake. "Hmm?"

Mitch shifted a little. "I.. I- Oh, never mind. It's stupid. Goodnight, I'm sorry."

Scott kept one arm protectively around Mitch's waist, and he squeezed a little. "Hey now. It's not stupid. Just tell me. What's wrong?"

Mitch kept his head firmly against Scott's chest as he spoke. "I'm scared, Sir."

"Why?"

Mitch spoke quietly, as if the louder his words were, the more true they became. "I don't want to let all the Alphas down."

"How could you possibly do that?"

"What if my nose fails me again? What if I break under pressure? What if I lead you somewhere and a bunch of Alphas get hurt? What if you get hurt?" Mitch rattled off.

Scott ran his hand up and down Mitch's back. "Don't talk like that. Have a little faith in yourself. I'll be right there with you. You have nothing to be afraid of."

"But what if-"

"No, Sweetheart." Scott interrupted firmly. "Don't freak yourself out like that. You're going to do just fine. Just you wait and see. But you won't if we don't get some sleep, alright?"

"Yes, Sir. Thank you."

"You're welcome, my love."

******