I Knew Her

I bit my nails as Reid went over all the evidence we had found for the case. I could feel Emily eyeing me from across the table and then a couple seconds later JJ. JJ shot me a questioning glance but I just pulled my thumbnail away from my mouth and cracked my knuckles.

As soon as Reid was done and everyone started standing up I pushed past everyone to rush to the bathroom, but before I could close the door it was pushed open by JJ. I turned away from her and covered my face after a couple tears fell. "Y/n? What's wrong?" She put her hand on my lower back and rubbed it softly.

"Nothing." My voice cracked as I struggled to fight back tears.

"Why are you crying?" Her voice was soft and caring as she grabbed my face gently to cup it in her hands. She wiped away my tears and kissed me sweetly. "Y/n?" I slid down the wall and pulled my knees up to my chest. She sat down next to me and offered me her hand. I took it after a couple seconds and then rested my forehead on my knees. She brought my hand up to her lips and kissed it a couple times before starting to caress it. "I love you." She told me, resting her chin on my shoulder so she was whispering directly into my ear. "I'm here if you wanna talk." I shook my head and took a deep breath. "You don't wanna talk?" I shook my head again. Once she took her chin off of my shoulder I leaned my head on her shoulder. I sensed her lips turn up into a small smile and she used her free hand to reach across and caress my cheek.

"I knew her."

"What?" She squeezed my hand three times and kissed my forehead.

"I knew her. The girl that was killed."

"Did you know her well?"

"No...I went to school with her when I was like 13." I lifted my head up off of her shoulder and stared ahead, taking my hand back to play with my fingers. JJ watched my hands and listened to me talk. "We were never really friends but when my friends were being assholes she let me sit with her at lunch."

"She sounds like she was really nice."

"She was." I agreed, clasping my hands together. "I just can't believe this can happen to literally anyone...and it becomes so much more real when it happens to someone you know or...knew."

"I get it." She kissed my temple and tucked my hair behind my ear. "Are you ok though? Or do you need a couple minutes."

"I think I'm ok."

"You sure?"

"Yeah. I love you." I kissed her gently and we both smiled into the kiss.

"I love you too."