Codependent

I smiled as I got an incoming FaceTime call from JJ. She had been away on a case for a little over a week and I missed her so bad. I answered the call and smiled when I saw her face. "Hi Jayje."

"Hi honey."

"How's the case?" She sighed.

"Not good. We're not getting very far on it. I'm probably gonna be here for a while." I sighed. "I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize, it's not your fault. Have you eaten anything today?"

"Yeah, you?" I nodded. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm ok. I miss you though." I said with a frown.

"I miss you too. I'll be home soon enough, ok?"

"Yeah. Ok."

"What time is it there?"

"Nine."

"It's 11 here."

"I don't wanna keep you up."

"No, I want to hear your voice."

"Ok."

"Can you talk?"

"Yeah. The coffee at the police station here is pretty good. I'll ask them what they use tomorrow so I can buy some for you. I found a really cool Los Angeles crewneck that I got. Don't worry, I plan on sharing it and I'll wear it so it smells like me when I get back."

"Thank you."

"No problem." We sat in a comfortable silence for a few seconds. "Y/n?"

"Hm?"

"Are you ok?"

"Yeah." She frowned at my response. "What?"

"I feel like you're not telling me something."

"I just really wish you were here."

"Me too honey. I will be back soon, ok?" I nodded. "I really don't want to keep you up to late, so get a good nights rest."

"You too. I love you."

"I love you too." She smiled and hung up.

Nine days later I was walking around the kitchen at two in the morning with a hot mug of coffee in my hand. I was super tired but I wanted to stay up for when JJ got home. I missed her so much.

I got out of my seat when I heard the front door open quietly. "Jayje?" I smiled when I walked over to her.

"Honey, you're still awake?"

"Yeah. I wanted to wait for you to get home." I put my arms around her and rested my head on her shoulder.

"Let's get you to bed."

"But I want to spend time with you."

"We'll cuddle and then we can hang out tomorrow, you shouldn't still be awake." I pouted but almost fell asleep as she carried me up the stairs.

We cuddled up on the bed and she kissed the top of my head right as I fell asleep.

"Jayje?" I called out her name as I woke up to the shower fan.

"I'll be out in a second." I sat up and rubbed my eyes. She walked out in a second with wet hair. "Do you wanna go out for breakfast?"

"I'm really tired."

"So that's a no?" I nodded and she sat down next to me on the bed. "Are you feeling alright?" I nodded.

"I'm really glad you're back." I rested my head on her shoulder and hugged her arm.

"Me too."

"I was gonna go out and buy that coffee for you if you wanted."

"Yeah, I'll try it."

"Wanna come with me?"

"Now?" She nodded. "Oh."

"It's ok if you don't want to." She whispered, kissing the top of my head. "You sure you're ok?" I didn't answer, just put my arms around her neck and straddled her, holding her tightly. She put her arms around me and sighed. "What happened?"

"I'm really glad you're back and I don't want you to leave."

"Honey, I feel like it's more than that." She whispered, kissing my temple. "You can tell me anything." She reminded me.

"I just don't do well when you're not here."

"Have you been sleeping well?" I shook my head. "Have you been eating?" I nodded. "How much?"

"Like one meal and a snack." She rubbed my back and sighed.

"You should eat something then."

"Maybe I should come back from my break from work. Then we can be together more."

"We can't become completely codependent y/n." She told me, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"You're no fun."

"The whole point of you taking off was to help your mental health."

"Yeah but it's boring."

"Boring is better than being depressed."

"Whatever." She laughed and stood up while I was still hugging her. She carried me downstairs to the kitchen and then set me down on the counter.

"What do you want for breakfast?" She asked me, putting her hands on my thighs and leaning in for a kiss.

"Just cereal is fine." She nodded and walked away and came back with a bowl of cereal for herself and for me before hopping up on the counter. I rested my head on her shoulder and she rested her head on mine and we both sighed when he phone started vibrating.

She checked the notification and frowned. "I have another case honey."

"I wanna come."

"You're on break."

"I wanna come." I repeated stubbornly. She sighed, knowing she wasn't going to be able to talk me out of it.

"Ok fine. But if I catch you crying, having a panic attack or a mental breakdown you're sitting this one out."

"So, you just can't catch me."

"Honey-"

"I'm joking." She sighed and kissed my forehead.

"Let's get packing."

"Are you packing?" She looked at me and rolled her eyes.

"Save this for later, ok? We need to focus."

"How am I supposed to focus on anything when you're in the room?"

"Shut up." She said while laughing.

"I know you love it."

"I do, but stop." She put her arms around my
neck and kissed me. "I love you."

"I love you too."