Nightmares

"Who wants to go out for drinks tonight?" Emily asked after we got back from our case. Everyone cheered except for me. "Y/n, are you in?"

"No. Sorry guys, I'm really tired."

"That's understandable." Emily said, everyone looking disappointed. Everyone turned around and started walking towards the elevator except for JJ.

"Are you not going?" I asked her.

"No."

"Oh. I'm going back home right now."

"Are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm just tired." I sighed and gave her a soft smile. It was true, I was tired. "I don't want you to not go if you're just worried about me. If you want to go, go. I'll be fine by myself for a night." The elevator door closed and she shrugged.

"I'd rather spend time with you anyways." She looked down at the ground.

"Are you ok?" I asked her, slinging my bag over my shoulder.

"Yeah." She looked back up with a smile. "Just glad to be spending some time with you." I smiled back and we walked to the car before having a silent drive home.

We climbed into bed and JJ turned on Gilmore Girls. I moved closer to her so our sides were touching. "You hungry?" She asked me.

"Not really." I told her truthfully. She nodded and put her hand on my stomach before cuddling into me.

She fell asleep half an hour later and I turned off the tv. I shut my eyes and tried to get some sleep but after an hour I gave up and rolled out of bed. I walked into the kitchen and turned on the light before getting some water.

"Y/n?" I heard JJ's voice a minute later.

"I'm in the kitchen." She walked in with a tired look on her face.

"Couldn't sleep?"

"How'd you know?"

"I know you." She wrapped her arms around me from behind and kissed my shoulder blade. I took a sip of my water. "Why can't you sleep? You said you were tired."

"I don't know." I shrugged and turned around in her arms, hopping up on the kitchen counter. She stood between my legs and rested her hands on my thighs.

"Was it the case?"

"I don't think it's for a big reason Jayje just sometimes it's hard to sleep."

"Why?" I shrugged. "Take some melatonin."

"No, I'll be fine." She wrapped her arms around my waist and hugged me. "You're very clingy tonight." I whispered.

"Shhh." I laughed softly and hugged her back, really needing it.

"Are you asleep yet?" She asked ten minutes later.

"No."

"Dammit. My trick didn't work." I laughed and she pulled away. "Seriously babe, why can't you sleep?" I shrugged and rested my arms on her shoulders. "Are you having nightmares again?"

"What? No." I said, shaking my head. She raised her eyebrows.

"I'm not dumb babe, I can tell when you're lying."

"Fine. I am kinda sorta having nightmares again."

"Ok, come here." She pulled me off of the counter and dragged me over to the couch. I sat down next to her as she leaned forward to see my face. "What are they about?"

"The shooting. Like last time." I played with my fingers.

"Hey, look at me." I turned to look at her and rubbed my palms together nervously. I hated these kinds of conversations. "When did they start again?"

"Like two weeks ago." She looked a little hurt that I hadn't told her. "Sorry."

"It's ok." I subconsciously trailed my hand up to my first scar from where the bullet had hit me and rubbed it softly. "Honey?"

"Hm?" She put her hand over the one over my scar and brought it up to her lips, kissing it before tugging on the bottom of my shirt. I know she just wanted to kiss my scars and my body and tell me that I was beautiful but I didn't want her to. I shook my head and she nodded. I leaned forward and held my head in my hands. She put her arm around my shoulders and pulled me close to her.

"Just try to sleep. I'll be right here, ok?" I hesitantly nodded and she pulled me down on top of her. I rested my head on her chest so I could hear her heartbeat and closed my eyes, hoping her comfort would let me sleep peacefully.

I slumped down against the wall, my blood smearing on the door from 3 bullets that had tore through my body. The police and paramedics were on their way but I didn't know if they would be here in time.

"Y/n." I was shaken awake by JJ. I groaned. "Are you ok?" I shot up and dragged my hand across my body, taking my shirt off and looking down at my scars, seeing if they were real and shaking my head when they were. "Y/n." She reached for my hands as I tried to hit them against my head. "Stop doing that!" She pulled me on top of her and hugged me, knowing that always helped. "You're safe, ok. You're not dead." I clutched her shirt and nodded, her words bringing me back to reality.

Once I relaxed I pulled away from her and gave her a small nod. She lied back down and we got back into our original position. This time I was able to fall asleep and didn't have any nightmares.