Why Are You Awake?

I frowned as I walked down the stairs. It was another night where I had been woken up my by my recurring nightmare and I can never fall asleep afterwards. JJ was supposed to be coming home soon too, so hopefully she could help. I sat down on the couch and waited for her to get home.

20 minutes later I heard the front door open and I couldn't help but smile. She was trying to be quiet but I wasn't asleep so it didn't matter. "Hi." I said quietly, standing up and walking over to her.

"Hey honey, why are you awake?"

"Couldn't sleep." She pulled me into a tight hug and kissed my forehead before we pulled away.

"Honey it's two in the morning. Why can't you sleep?" I opened my mouth but it was like I couldn't get the word out. "Is everything ok?" I shook my head. "What's bothering you?"

"The uh...the nightmares."

"They're back?" I nodded. "Are they different this time?" She leaned against the wall and crossed her arms. I nodded again. "What's different?"

"Nobody comes to help. I'm just stuck there. I don't even hear your voice anymore." I said sadly.

"When did they start back up?"

"Like five days ago. It's every night." She nodded and pulled me in for another hug.

"Thank you for telling me. Do you want a cuddle?" I nodded and she picked me up, taking me upstairs to our bed. She kicked off her shoes and we both flopped down onto the bed. I turned towards her and buried my face in her chest. She put her arms around me and slid her hand under my shirt, tracing small circles on my skin. "Do you need anything honey?" I shook my head and she kissed my forehead, letting her lips linger. She let out a content sigh and shut her eyes but I. pulsing bring myself to shut mine, scared of what I would see if I did.

"You're not asleep." She said tiredly after half an hour.

"Sorry."

"No, don't apologize. Is there anything else that's bothering you?" She kissed the top of my head and stroked my hair.

"I'm scared I'm gonna have the nightmare again."

"You're safe with me." She whispered, rubbing my back.

"I know."

"Then why are you so scared?"

"Because you don't show up in my dream." She sighed and kissed my forehead.

"Whatever dream you have, I'll be right here with my arms around you when you wake up."

"You promise?"

"I promise honey." I nodded and shut my eyes, falling into a dreamless sleep.

I woke up six hours later, still in JJ's arms. She was stroking my hair and kissing my forehead every ten seconds or so. "Mm. You're awake." She mumbled in her morning voice. I blushed, her morning voice always turned me on. "How did you sleep?"

"Good. No dreams." I smiled up at her and she kissed me sweetly.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"No reason." She raised her eyebrows and kissed me again, pushing me onto my back and climbing on top of me.

"Mm, I think there was a reason baby." She littered kisses all over my face until I was blushing and laughing. I put my arms around her neck and pulled her down closer to me.

"Just shut up and kiss me."

"Yes ma'am."

And the rest was history.