It'll Pass

JJ and I lied down on her roof, staring at the stars. I could feel her looking at me so I turned to look at her. "What?" She just smiled.

"I love you." My heart skipped a beat. She loves me? No. No one had said that to me in 8 years. There's no way that was true.

I guess I must've stayed silent for too long because she furrowed her brows. "Y/n?"

"Sorry, what?" I tried to relax my body, realizing that my whole body has tensed up.

"Are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Did you hear me?"

"No." I lied.

"I love you." She said again. I couldn't think of anything to say. I love her. I do love her. But it's going to hurt. I'm not going to give myself up to someone who is going to decide they don't love me in another year.

"It'll pass."

Three years later JJ and I still worked at the BAU together, we only talked to each other when we absolutely had to. I hated to say it but I still loved her. I think I always will.

Every time I looked at her it made me feel better. If I was stressed out, I just saw her smile and I was ok again. The amount of times I had wanted to run to her for a hug when I was at my lowest but had to stop myself was so high I couldn't even count.

"Y/n?" Hotch's voice rang throughout the conference room.

"Yeah?" My head snapped up and I saw everyone staring at me.

"Are you ok?"

"Fine." I gave him a nod and glanced to JJ who was looking at me with worried eyes. I clenched my jaw and looked back down at the table. Everyone was still staring at me. "Am I just that damn attractive?" I snapped, getting up and walking back to my desk.

"Y/n?" I turned around and saw JJ, my heart stopped.

"What?"

"I...I wanted to check on you."

"I'm fine."

"You don't seem fine."

"Why are you talking to me and checking on me like this? You haven't done this in three years, why the sudden change?"

"Y/n don't be difficult." She sighed.

"Ok. Fine."

"How are you doing?"

"I really don't understand why you're asking me this." I looked back up into the conference room and saw that everyone was still in there.

"Why?"

"Because it's been three years since we've had a formal conversation."

"And you thought I stopped caring about you?"

"Yeah." I said bluntly.

"It didn't pass y/n."

"What?"

"I...I told you I loved you and you said it would pass. It didn't pass." Her eyes were stinging with tears and my heart sank. She still loved me, that was good, but she was about to cry.

"Don't cry." I whispered, standing up to meet her face to face.

"I love you y/n. I'm not scared to say that anymore. I don't care if you run away because I already dealt with that once. I love you, I love you, I love you-" I cut her off with a passionate kiss. I cupped her face in my hands and then pulled away. She looked speechless, her lips parted.

"I love you." I whispered.

"You...you love me?" I nodded.

"I love you." I said again, smiling. The more I said it the more my heart swelled. "I love you." She crashed her lips onto mine again and I let out a soft moan, not expecting it. She smiled against my lips and ran her hands through my hair.

It felt euphoric. Like fireworks were exploding in my veins, I never wanted to stop but she pulled away. Her lips were plump and she looked drunk on love. I was at a loss for words. I hummed and stared down at her lips. "You still up there y/n?"

"Mhm." I nodded slightly.

"You sure?"

"Yes. I'm up here." I looked back into her eyes and smiled. "But...don't let it pass."

"It won't pass. It'll never pass. I promise."

"Ok." My lips turned into a frown.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm...everyone who's said they love me have taken it back."

"I won't take it back." She tucked my hair behind my ear and kissed my forehead. "I promise."

"I love you." I said again.

"I love you."