Shot

JJ and I were talking outside of the local police department. We were on a case and were taking our 30 minutes break. I sipped my coffee and laughed at her joke. "My ex lived here." She raised her brows. "The abusive one?"

"Yeah." I sighed. "Sorry, I don't know why I said that, it was like word vomit-"

"It's ok." She put her hand on my knee and squeezed it.

"Hey, y/n!" I heard my name from a familiar voice and looked over my shoulder.

"Hey!" I heard JJ's voice and two gunshots. I fell forward on the ground, only feeling one gunshot.

"J...JJ what the fuck happened?" I put my hand over my abdomen and cried out at the pain. "JJ?"

"Stay still. Fuck I don't have my phone. HOTCH! MORGAN! REID! SOMEONE OUT HERE!" She yelled at the top of her lungs. I fell down onto my back and groaned as my head hit the concrete.

"Hey, no, stay with me honey." She patted my cheek.

"Am I gonna die? People die when they get shot, right?" I heard footsteps rushing towards me.

"What happened?" Hotch asked, pulling my shirt up and starting to stuff my wound.

"Ow! Ow! Fuck!" I tried to reach up to smack him but my vision was getting blurry.

"Honey. Baby, focus on me." JJ's voice wavered.

"She's losing too much blood." That was the last thing I heard before everything went black.

I woke up in a hospital bed, my stomach sore.
"Was I shot?" I whispered once I saw JJ sitting on the side of the bed.

"Yeah." She sighed, putting her hand on my arm.

"That's...great. It hurts less when you're caught off guard." She laughed softly. I saw that her eyes looked a bit red and her face was puffy. "I almost died didn't I?"

"Yeah...but um...I shot the guy who shot you." I looked away from her and frowned. "He died...do you know who that was?"

"The ex that lives here."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"Are you ok?"

"What do you think?" She trailed her hand down to my hand and squeezed it comfortingly. "Yeah. In need of some comfort. I didn't know somebody could hate you so much for not wanting to have unprotected sex with them every night." She looked at me sadly. "I'm really fucking tired."

"Yeah. Getting shot will do that to you."

"Can you fit on this bed?"

"Yeah." She smiled and rolled onto her side, draping her arm over my chest. I kissed her forehead and she kissed my jaw, both of us falling asleep.

A few days later I was back in our house and JJ wasn't letting me leave the bed. She brought me food and blankets, and changed my clothes for me. She was in the middle of pulling a hoodie on over my head when I protested. "JJ. If you're going to put me on bed rest for the next week could you at least stay with me instead of leaving every couple of minutes?"

"I'm trying to make you comfortable."

"What I need to be comfortable right now is you. So stay...please." She smiled and lied down on the bed next to me. I rested my head on her chest and tangled our legs together. I heard her heartbeat and furrowed my brows. "Did my heart ever stop beating?"

"For a few seconds. Yeah." She breathed out. I slipped my hand under her shirt so I could caress her side, pulling her closer to me. "Why?"

"I just heard your heartbeat and wondered." I shrugged and stared at the wall.

"You ok?" She asked. I nodded. "You sure?"

"I'm ok, could be better. Wish my ex didn't shoot me you know?" We both laughed quietly and I lifted my head up. I saw her loving eyes and I couldn't help but smile. I buried my face in her neck and kissed it a couple times. She put her arm over my shoulders and one over my waist. "If you weren't there I would've died."

"Let's not think about that."

"But-"

"Nope. You're going to make me cry."

"Sorry." She rubbed my back in response and kissed my temple.

"What's important is that you're alive and well, and you're in my arms."

"I like the in your arms part."

"Me too. But you being alive is pretty cool too." I smiled and pulled a blanket up over us. "You should really get some rest honey."

"Yeah. I'm starting to feel it."

"I love you."

"I love you too."