Horrible Kids

Virgil wasn't the new kid, he was always there, since kindergarten. But he was never noticed, until now.

~~~~~

Virgil was walking through the hallways, on his way to lunch, more like on his way to the back of the school to not eat anything, but to draw and listen to his music. He never ate much anyway, and he hated being near people.

As he walked in the opposite direction of everyone else, he was greeted by a few theatrical kids, a.k.a the most popular kids in school. The school didn't really do sports but they had a huge theater department.

"Well, well, well. Look what we have here?" A, much taller kid than Virgil, asked him.

"Is he new? I've never seen him before." Roman asked, crossing his arms and giving a side look to the person that confronted Virgil. Roman was in the center of the five kids. The kid on his right had asked Virgil that first, stupid question.

"I-I'm not new." Virgil muttered, he was extremely sensitive but he was trying his best to not cry.

"What was that? Speak up!" The kid on Roman's left pushed him backwards, he didn't weigh that much so it didn't take a lot of force to push him down.

"What did you say?" The kid asked again.

"Andrew, control yourself." Roman told the kid.

"Sorry. Sorry." He put his hands infant of himself to calm himself down.

"So, what did you say?" Andrew asked with a condescending voice.

"I-I'm not n-new." Virgil repeated, fear lacing his voice.

"Y-you're not?" He asked, the five of them laughing.

"I-I have to go." Virgil said trying to get up.

"I don't think so." The kid on Roman's right said pushing him back down.

"Riley, gimme his backpack." Roman told the kid that pushed him back down. Riley snatched Virgil's book bag and handed it to Roman. Virgil quickly stood up and tried to take it back but wasn't successful.

"Hey, hey, hey. Calm down, Princess." Roman told him, leaning into his face, staring into his eyes. Roman backed away slowly after seeing the fear in Virgil's eyes, feeling slightly guilty.

"Now, let's see what we have here." Roman rummaged through his stuff, pulling out a few school supplies and other things. He stopped taking things out of the bag when he saw Virgil's sketch book.

"Please don't look in it." Virgil begged. The four laughed but Roman just stared at him, holding the book in his hand.

"Why shouldn't I?" Roman asked, causing everyone else to stop laughing.

"I-It's the only thing t-that keeps me sane." Virgil whispered. He was looking down at the floor, his eyes squeezed shut.

"Awww, poor baby." Andrew teased. Virgil clenched his fist, digging his nails into the palms.

"Here." Roman shoved the sketch the book into Virgil's chest.

"What? Roman what are you doing?" Riley asked stepping closer to him.

"Shut it Riley. Let's go eat lunch." With that Roman started walking off with his, very confused group.

Virgil watched them walk off before gathering all his stuff, and stuffing it all back into his bag. He ran to the back of the school, sitting down, turning his music all the way up, and letting his tears fall.

This is why he'd rather be unnoticed. His anxiety always went through the roof when people talked to him, let alone when people picked on him.

~~~~~