Merry Christmas

Christmas AU

Virgil walked downstairs, it was Christmas morning and he wasn't expecting anything to be waiting for him under the pathetic Christmas tree they had in the house. His mom died when he was about two, so he didn't remember much of her, and he lived with his dead beat dad who was either at work or at the bar. No in between, Virgil hadn't actually seen his dad for a few months now. But he didn't worry too much about it. If his dad didn't want to see him, then why would he want to see his dad? 

He looked around the empty living room/kitchen (the two rooms merged into one), and sighed. He started a small fire in the fireplace and checked to see if there was any food in the fridge, unfortunately there wasn't much, nothing but a half empty bottle of ketchup and an egg. He decided against cooking anything and to just go down the road to a small coffee shop. 
He made his way back up the dreaded stairs and contemplated whether or not he would take a shower. 

He decided against it, being too lazy to want to blow dry his hair afterwards. He threw on an over sized, purple hoodie and a pair of skinny, black jeans with holes at the knees. Throwing on a beanie before he went back down stairs. 
Virgil sighed before leaving his house, making sure his phone was in his back pocket and locking the door.

He took a look around, the street was empty, and covered in snow. Cars were all in the garages so the driveways were all empty. Everything was silent and freezing. 

~~~~~

Virgil started his journey down the road, he may only be sixteen and shouldn't be walking by himself at seven in the morning, on Christmas, but he had nothing else to do so why not. 

After Virgil took a left the cafe came into view, there was only one car in the parking lot, which Virgil assumed to be the employee's currently working there. 

A little bell rung as Virgil entered the cafe, it was empty, as expected. He looked around, a light blush dusting his cheeks when he saw the boy on the other side of the counter. 

The seventeen year old looked up and half-heartedly waved at Virgil.
"Morning Virge, y'know, I only even came in today because I knew you'd come in. You're the one regular that never fails to come in every morning. Merry Christmas by the way." Roman picked up an already made coffee and walked over to the usual booth that Virgil always sat at. 
"Here's your coffee, creamer with a pinch of actual coffee." Roman offered a smile and put the coffee on the other side of the table, eventually Virgil joined him and took a sip, enjoying the taste and relaxing a little as he took in the warmth.
"Thanks, merry Christmas to you too...I guess." Virgil spoke softly, making Roman smile slightly. He loved hearing Virgil's voice, even if he didn't hear it very often. 

"Is your dad not spending Christmas with you?" 

"No...never has, never will, I'm used to it." 

The conversation went dead after that, Roman didn't know what to say. He simply enjoyed being in the presence of Virgil, it calmed him down and made him feel at home.

"Do you have any plans today?" 

Roman turned to Virgil, not really expecting him to start another conversation.
"Not really, I have to close the cafe in an hour, I only asked to run it today for your sake. My parents are out of town and my brothers at college, I don't think he's coming home this year though...Do you have any plans?"

Virgil slowly shook his head no, stirring the straw in his coffee as he thought about the situation he was in, which just so happened to be that he was in an empty cafe, with a really hot guy that he was 100% crushing on and has been ever since he first came to this place. Not to mention that it was Christmas morning and Roman had opened up specifically for him and made him coffee for free. Virgil didn't really know what to take from this, but it still ran through his head as he stared off into space.