Complicated

The song starts at 2:03 but feel free to listen to the whole song.
It's called complicated by Kimya Dawson, and all her songs are amazing!

W A R N I N G

Slight mention of self harm

~~~~~

Patton stared at the three on the couch, they were talking trash about the dark sides, mainly Logan and Roman but Virgil did say a few hurtful things about them. Patton was disappointed, to say the least.

"Just because someone does not look like me, doesn't mean they are a clone or a sheep. Maybe they like their job, and they're living the dream, and they love their friend and their family." Patton huffed as he started pacing, the others had never seen him so mad.

"Some people thrive between nine and five and feel like they're chocking if their neck's not tied." Patton stared at Virgil, he of all people should have known what they were saying was wrong. "And some people feel as if they're gonna die if their seams aren't straight and their shoes aren't tied." Patton glanced over at Logan as he straightened his tie, avoiding eye contact with Patton. "Some people like business; some people like numbers; some people grow organic heirloom cucumbers and only feel free with their hands in the dirt in a pair of old jeans and their favorite t-shirt." Patton finished his statement to Logan and turned to Roman.

"Some people feel enslaved when they have a boss; some people, without one, feel totally lost. To make this world work, it takes all different kinds." Patton started pacing again, staring down at the floor. "We all have different tastes, different strengths, different minds. So it doesn't make sense to generalize, and it doesn't make sense to judge with our eyes. We need more compassion; we need to be kind." 

Patton stopped for a minute, looking down and moving his hair out of his face, he let out a sigh and then continued to scold the others.

"If you open your heart, you might like what you find."

"Patton, we're sorry." Roman didn't sound sorry at all, yet he did have tears in his eyes that he refused to let fall. He hated to see Patton so disappointed, and to know that he was the cause of it.

"And no one is nice all the time, and no one is mean all the time. Think about what someone's going through that's making them be mean to you: like maybe their pet gerbil died, and they are really sad inside." Patton turned back to Virgil, his heart aching as he saw the tears silently fall down Virgil's face, but he couldn't give in, he needed the sides to realize what they did was wrong. "Or maybe they got in a fight with someone that they really like." Virgil froze. He knew Patton was referring to him, although Roman thought it was referring to him. Patton himself, knew this feeling though.

"Or maybe they are really shy and don't know how to socialize, and they just want to run and hide; not saying that it's justified" His gaze switched to Virgil and Roman.

"But if we learn to empathize," He locked eyes with Logan. Patton himself was starting to get teary eyed but seeing Logan on the verge of tears made him start to cry. "the resentments will vaporize: situations metamorphosis before our very eyes."  

"Then the need to stereotype will become outdated when we realize that everyone is really complicated." Patton sat on the coffee table, his head in his hands as he stared at the floor. "We are all so complicated. We are all so complicated. I am also complicated. I am also complicated." Patton started to mumble to himself. 

"I drive a minivan, and I've got junk in the trunk. I think Danny DeVito is a total hunk!" Patton said through a breathless laugh. He looked up at three his tears already staining his cheeks. 

"I like revisiting the stuff my therapist helps me remember;" He thought of his good friend Emile and everything he told him. "being friends with someone for a long time, still not knowing their gender. I fight for equal rights, and I fight for inner peace. I pray to the dead for the gratitude I need."

"Patton-" Logan tried to speak.

"I'm not finished!" Patton stood up again, pacing back and forth. "I'm a little bit pop culture; a lot bit DIY."
"That's an oxymoron" Logan mumbled under his breath, causing Patton to shoot him a glare.
"I don't know the definition of TMI." 

"Patton! We're sorry!" Virgil tried to say again, but that didn't keep Patton from continuing.

"No! You guys don't understand, you are all so quick to judge. All of you!" Patton exclaimed. "You do it all the time. No matter how many times I tell you to not do it. You judge the dark sides, you judge each other, you judge me and Thomas' friends, you even judge Thomas!" 

Patton took a deep breath.

"It needs to stop. Am I understood?" Patton stood there, simply looking at the three. He wiped away his tears as he looked at them. Virgil was was wiping away his tears every two minutes. Roman was trying so hard to not cry. And Logan was staring at the floor, tears slowly falling onto the floor as he stayed quiet. 

"Am I understood?" Patton repeated himself, crossing his arms.

"Y-y-yes." Virgil stuttered out, destroying Patton's heart as he kept the disappointed look on his face.

"Yes." Logan said in a monotone voice.

"Of course, we understand you. We won't do it again." Roman told him. 

"Good. Now, if- if you'll excuse me. I'll be in my room." Patton walked off, his sobs becoming quieter as he walked away.

"Guys, what just happened?" Roman asked as he wiped at his eyes.

"I think he h-hates us!" Virgil cried.

"Hey, don't think like that, he loves us, he's just...disappointed."

"That's even worse!" Virgil stood up and ran to his room, not bothering to say anything else.

"I'm...I'm going to my room as well." Roman dismissed himself.

Logan looked up at the now empty room, his cheeks were red and his eyes were filled with tears. His glasses were in his hands, having to take them off as tears kept building up in the rim.

"Patton...?" Logan said softly as he looked at the floor. Logan stood up and hastily walked to Patton's room, not bothering to knock as he opened Patton's door. 
"Patton." Logan looked at the small bean on the floor, he was pulling at his hair as he cried.

"I-I didn't want to yell at them! At you! But you guys- you don't understand what they have to go through, you can't just make fun of them." 

"I know...I know." Logan walked over to Patton, kneeling down as he pulled Patton's hands away from his hair. "I apologize. The other sides are more than sorry as well. We won't do it again. I'll make sure of it." Patton nodded, waiting a second before he threw his arms around Logan's shoulders. 

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!" 

"It's alright." Logan wrapped his arms around Patton's back, holding him close, he felt terrible.

~~~~~

"Virgil?" Roman knocked on Virgil's door, walking in after receiving no answer. 

"Virgil!" Virgil looked up at Roman, a razor in his hand, ready to make a quick and shaky cut. "You can't- it's not- please stop." Roman walked up to him, gently taking the razor away from Virgil's hand and throwing it into the trash can. 

"B-But I deserve it! Did you not see what I did to Patton?" Virgil cried. 

Roman didn't know what to say, Virgil was least to blame, Roman had initiated the bullying in the first place. So he pulled Virgil into an embrace and let him cry it all out.

~~~~~

~Have An Amazing Day!!