The End of Cade

Summary: Set in S8 with Cade. Kat comes back to life human. When she tries to help stop Cade, she nearly dies. What will ensue between her and Damon? Can he save her life?

It was a dismal night, as an injured Kat lay on her back, vision gray, trying to breathe, as Cade stood by her, a foot on her chest. This is what she got for coming back human and trying to save her favorite Salvatore's life.

"You should know by now not to pick a fight with someone that's supernatural," he said.

Damon quietly got to his feet, grabbing the weapon that would kill him, and stabbed him, forcing him to step back away from her, before turning into bones and dirt. Even if she was a pain in the ass, he wouldn't want an enemy to kill her.

A moment later, he was knelt at her side. He saw that she was severely injured. She also couldn't breathe, so he assumed Cade's pressure on her chest had caused a lung or both to collapse. She was pale from blood loss, too. He knew every moment counted for her. He also knew that he was losing her.

"Stay with me, Katherine," he pleaded, as he pulled her gently into his arms. "Don't you dare die on me."

Soon after, he arrived at the hospital, laying her down on a bed in the hallway, before quickly putting a breathing mask on her, trying to keep her breathing. He knew she was slipping, though. She was starting to grow limp.

"You're not dying if I can help it. Come on, Kitty Kat," he pleaded, feeling helpless, as her eyes grew glassy, the light fading with every slowing breath.

After a moment later, Meredith came over to help save her life, and eventually was able to repair her lungs, as well as tend to her wounds, saving her life.

Once she'd recovered a few weeks later, he took her home with him. Then, a month later, they fell back in love.