Love Me Once More

Summary: Set in 2x22 "As I Lay Dying." Kat's the one bitten by a werewolf, instead of Damon. When Damon finds her, can he cure her in time?

It was a dismal night, as a russet werewolf tore into vampire Katherine's shoulder, its claws digging into her side. She usually could handle pain, but not like this. She couldn't help but scream in excruciating agony. Despite wanting to fight, she couldn't really fight it. Not when it had bitten her elsewhere, too.

Damon had just fed in the woods, when he heard a familiar scream from his sire. He'd never heard her in so much agony before, so he knew she was in real grave danger. Despite him despising her, he'd never leave her to die. She was his sire, no matter the kind of vampire she was. Plus, they had a rule that others couldn't hurt them without consequences, but they could hurt one another.

As the creature continued to tear into her, everything grew gray, just as she smelled Damon, unable to really move or scream anymore. She was feeling way too weak from being bitten more than once.

When Damon found her, she was being torn into by a wolf. He couldn't let her be taken alive by a werewolf. No vampire deserved that. He had to get it away from her without getting bitten himself.

"Here, doggie, doggie," he called to it, which made it stop with her and look at him. Then it chased after him, as he blurred off. Then, finding an iron rod, he blurred towards it and stabbed it in the shoulder enough to cause it enough pain that it ran off. He then detoured back to his sire. Then he knelt at her side, looking at all of the wounds. There were some scratches but mostly bites from the attack. He could tell that she was very weak and not fully awake. "Katherine," he said.

"Damon...," she softly replied.

"It's okay. You're going to be okay," he assured her, before gently pulling her into his arms and getting to his feet. He then blurred home.

Once home, he layed her gently down on his bed upstairs. Then he put a cool wet washcloth on her forehead to try and cool her down. He knew being bitten was a death sentence to any vampire, but no one knew what the cure was.

He sat on her bedside, hoping that he was right that Katherine might know who might have the answer. She was much older than he was. He could only assume that she knew who would know what the cure for a bite was.

He rested a hand on the side of her face.

"Katherine?"

After a few minutes, she finally looked to see him.

"Damon," she weakly greeted.

"Who do you know would know about what the cure is?" he inquired of her.

"Klaus and Elijah," she replied, knowing that Elijah was so loyal to Klaus all of this time that he'd know pretty much everything Klaus knew.

"Alright. Just hang on," he replied, and knew who exactly to call for help. He was the only Original that actually truly cared about Katherine's well-being, so he knew that Elijah would be the best call. As long as Elijah wasn't daggered, that is.

After their conversation on the phone, Damon hung up, Elijah having said that he'd get the cure for her. He just had to convince Klaus, which Elijah was usually pretty good at.

Damon continued to sit on her bedside, keeping an eye on her, not having much that he could really do for her. All he could do was watch her, which included having to witness any hallucinations of hers. As far as he could tell, they were all from the past, some with him when he was still in love with her, but a lot of them seemed to be from when she'd been human, as well as some things with Klaus and Elijah throughout the centuries.

As Kat felt a hand on her arm and the pain began to go away, feeling the darkness starting to engulf her, she vaguely could hear Damon. Then, what felt like ten minutes later, she felt something familiar going down her throat.

After Elijah gave Damon the vial of Klaus' blood and Damon cured her with it, he set the vial on the end table. Then, a few minutes later, she began to wake up, which relieved him. And after she'd almost died, he realized that he still loved and cared about her. And so, in the end, after she was fully recovered, they got back together.