Wrecking Ball

Summary: Set in S1-2. Everything except for "As I Lay Dying," are flashbacks. This is where he actually shows that he still cares for her deeply, despite all the times they've tried to kill one another.

*1864*

We clawed, we chained our hearts in vain

We jumped, never asking why

We kissed, I fell under your spell

A love no one could deny

Don't you ever say

I just walked away

I will always want you

I can't live a lie

Running for my life

I will always want you

It was a dismal night, as Damon chased after her in the woods.

After a few minutes, he caught up with her and they now stood with her against a tree, her back against the bark, him in front of her.

"Why must you run from me?"

"Because I know that you will chase," she replied with a smile.

"Then let me chase you forever."

She made a cut by her collarbone.

"I'm not going to feed you, Damon. If you want it, take it."

"I choose you, Katherine," he said, before bending down to drink from her open wound.

*The Return*

I came in like a wrecking ball

I never hit so hard in love

All I wanted to do was to break your walls

All you ever did was wreck me

Yeah, you wreck me

I put you high up in the sky

And now

You're not coming down

It slowly turned

You let me burn

And now

We're ashes on the ground

Damon and Katherine stood in front of each other in the living room.

"I have a question. Answer it and it's back to fireworks and rockets red glare. Answer it right and I'll forget the last 145 years that I've spent missing you. I'll forget how much I loved you. I'll forget everything and we can start over. This could be our defining moment because we have time. That's the beauty of eternity. I just need the truth, just this once."

"Stop. I already know the question and its answer. The truth is...I've never loved you."

She left the boarding house, as her words sunk in, though she'd lied to him to protect him.

Upset at what she'd said, he threw an empty shot glass at the fireplace and it shattered into pieces.

*Fool Me Once*

Don't you ever say

I just walked away

I will always want you

I can't live a lie

Running for my life

I will always want you

I came in like a wrecking ball

I never hit so hard in love

All I wanted to do was to break your walls

All you ever did was wreck me

Yeah, you wreck me

I came in like a wrecking ball

Yeah, I just closed my eyes and swung

Left me crouching in a blaze and fall

All you ever did was break me

Yeah, you wreck me

Damon stood in the tomb, looking around at the vampires, looking for Katherine, but couldn't find her anywhere. Realizing she wasn't there, he threw the blood bag at the wall and it splattered and fell to the ground.

"She's not here," he said. "She's not here!"

*Masquerade*

I never meant to start a war

I just wanted you to let me in

And instead of using force

I guess I should've let you in

I never meant to start a war

I just wanted you to let me in

And instead of using force

I guess I should've let you in

"I'm going to stab this right through your heart," Damon threatened with her against the wall and him in front of her, stake raised.

She smiled and said, "God you're hot. When did you get so hot?"

*As I Lay Dying*

Don't you ever say

I just walked away

I will always want you

I came in like a wrecking ball

I never hit so hard in love

All I wanted was to break your walls

I came in like a wrecking ball

All you ever did was wreck me

Yeah, you wreck me

Yeah, you wreck me

Damon went to Ric's apartment to see if Katherine was worthy of vervain, knowing that Klaus was Katherine's greatest enemy of all time. When he knocked on the door and no one answered or opened it, he was curious, so he opened the door and upon closing it behind himself when he walked in, he saw Katherine tied to a chair, burning in the sun. Clearly, Klaus wanted her to suffer or die or both, but Damon didn't want that for her, he suddenly realized.

He blurred over and closed the curtains as quickly as he could, before going to where she sat and snapped the ropes in two, ignoring the pain from the vervain that was on them. He then saw her Daylight bracelet in the corner and slipped it on her wrist. Then he gently picked her up in his arms and left the apartment with an out cold Katherine.

Once he got home and had layed her down on his bed, he gently lifted her head and put a shot glass of human blood to her lips, making the blood go down her throat, knowing she needed it.

In the end, she lived, so all was well, apart from the fact of Klaus being in town.