The Sun Also Rises (2nd revised version)

Summary: Set in S2E21 "The Sun Also Rises." What if Kat had been the one to find out what the cure for a werewolf bite is? What if she stayed with Damon and never left his side while he was dying?

A/N: Based off from a dream I had.

It was a beautiful day in Mystic Falls, Virginia as Katherine Pierce force fed a blood bag to Damon Salvatore.

"Come on, Damon. Wake up," she called to him.

When the blood bag was empty, she tossed it away and gently patted his right cheek to try and wake him up.

"Please, Damon," she begged, Klaus' voice echoing through her mind. He had said that Damon's blood was impure. She didn't know why, though. She knew she had to wake him up, though.

"Damon, it's me. Can you hear me? Damon. Please, Damon. Don't do this to me," she begged.

She scanned him with her eyes to figure out why he wasn't waking up.

When she saw something on his arm, she looked at it, trying to figure out what it was. Then it clicked for her. She realized he had been bitten by a werewolf.

"Oh, Damon," she said, before sighing, knowing what Klaus had meant. He was slowly dying from the bite.

He knew he should leave, but he didn't think he would make it outside, much less be able to fetch Elena after the ritual.

Kat rested gentle hands on either side of his face.

"Damon, can you hear me?" she called to him.

"Katherine," he said.

"Finally," she responded. "You worried me. You weren't waking up. Though, now that I realize what's happening, I understand what took you so long to wake up."

"What's happening?"

"You don't know? It looks like a werewolf bit you on the arm. You're dying."

"Then go away and let me die in peace."

"I'm not leaving you. I'm here for you."

Suddenly, he realized that he was sweating and warm.

Kat feared the worse, but tried her best to have hope that he would live. And as she did, she wet a cool, wet washcloth on his face, being as strong for him as she could.

She rested her free hand on top of his left one.

"Stay with me, Damon. Please," she said, when he looked like he was about to black out on her again.

"I'm here," he whispered, as his vision started to go black.

"I'm not going to lose you. You're still my Sweet Damon," she informed him, before he blacked out on her.

"I'm not leaving you. I'm here for you."

A few hours later, when he came to again, he wasn't sure what was happening, but he was feeling like he used to feel about Katherine.

He reached up with his right hand and caressed her face.

"I choose you, Katherine," he said.

She gave him a smile, but knew what was happening to him.

"Damon, you're hallucinating."

She uncorked the vial she had in her hand and held it out to him.

"Drink."

He took the vial and obeyed her.

A few minutes later, he felt better.

When he looked better, it relieved her.

He took his hand away from her face. He couldn't believe he had just acted like that towards her.

"You're not dying anymore. I'm glad."

"What was that?"

"The cure. I found out that Klaus' blood is the cure."

He got to his feet, as did she.

"Why did you save me?" he questioned his sire.

"Because I once loved you both, and there'd be consequences if I let you die."

"Thanks."

She watched, as he left.

Once he had Elena Gilbert on the couch in the living room in her house, he knelt in front of the couch and waited for her to awaken.

"I swear if you wake up a vampire, I'll kill you myself," he vowed, knowing she didn't want to ever become a vampire.

He tucked some hair behind her ear.

When she woke up, she put a hand on the side of her head like it hurt her.

"How do you feel?" he asked her.

"I feel...fine," she answered him.

He sighed in relief.