Hold On (Datherine)

Summary: Set in S8 with Cade. Kat comes back to life after escaping the prison world and Kai. She helps Damon kill Cade. In return, Damon saves her due to what Kai did to her. Then, after, they make up and get back together again. Based on Chord Overstreet's "Hold On."

Loving and fighting

Accusing, denying

I can't imagine a world with you gone

The joy and the chaos, the demons we're made of

I'd be so lost if you left me alone...

You locked yourself in the bathroom;

Lying on the floor when I break through

I pull you in to feel your heartbeat

Can you hear me screaming "Please don't leave me!"

It was a nebulous night, as Katherine, human, appeared in what looked like a cave-like place. When she saw that Damon was trying to get rid of Cade, but was being unsuccessful, she magically was able to pin Cade to the floor of the cave-like place, allowing Damon to be able to stab Cade with the only thing that could kill Cade. Once Damon had done that, she magically let Cade go. She was injured in her time in the prison world she'd come from, though. She didn't know how much longer she could stand her ground.

Damon looked at her. He was going to ask how she was alive, but the ascendant in her hand gave him the answer. She'd ended up in a prison world last time she'd died. Judging from her wounds and the arrow in her leg, he knew which prison world, because he knew only Kai would injure someone like that.

He blurred over to her, standing in front of her, and took the ascendant away, putting it in his jacket. Then, as he scanned her wounds with his eyes for which ones were worst, and before he could say anything to her, she collapsed.

With vampire reflexes, he caught her from hitting the ground. He then gently layed her down on her back on the ground.

"Stay with me, Katherine," he said, and pulled the arrow out of her leg, before using her jacket to tie around her wound.

As he looked at her, he could tell that she'd lost a lot of blood. She was pale from blood loss and starting to go under. He was afraid she might have a concussion too, judging from the blood on either side of her head. Her lower stomach was bleeding, too.

Hold on, I still want you

Come back, I still need you

Let me take your hand, I'll make it right

I swear to love you all my life

Hold on, I still need you

A long endless highway, you're silent beside me

Driving a nightmare I can't escape from

Helplessly praying, the light isn't fading

He rested a hand on the side of her face.

"Hey. Stay with me. Look at me. You're gonna be okay. Just hang on," he assured her, for once in a very long time being gentle towards her. He hoped what he told her was true. With so much blood loss, he knew he couldn't keep her awake. He didn't want to watch her die. Especially, not when this was Kai's doing. He'd put Elena in danger. He wouldn't let Kai end up killing his sire, human or not, whether he still loved her or not.

As he gently pulled her into his arms and got to his feet with her, everything went black for her. He then blurred her to the hospital, since last time she'd been human, she couldn't digest vampire blood.

Stay with me. Keep breathing. Fight it. I'm not letting you die tonight, he thought, as he rushed her to the hospital as quickly as he could.

Hiding the shock and the chill in my bones

They took you away on a table

I pace back and forth as you lay still

They pull you in to feel your heartbeat...

Can you hear me screaming, "Please don't leave me!"

Damon was in the hallway, watching the doctors do their thing. She was barely hanging on, so they had to get her stable, before they could get her tended to.

Come on, Katherine. Don't you dare give up, he thought. He knew he couldn't do anything to help her, though. Not without trying blood that may or may not work on her.

Hold on, I still want you

Come back, I still need you

Let me take your hand, I'll make it right

I swear to love you all my life

Hold on, I still need you

I don't wanna let go

I know I'm not that strong

Several hours later, he was seated on her bedside, a hand on hers. She'd survived the surgery, but he'd been right. She had a concussion. If Kai was here right now, he'd rip his head off, once again, for almost killing her. He never shown it until now, apart from when he'd been in love with her, but he did still care about her. Despite everything, they were still connected. They always would be. They were alike in more ways than one. They had something with that connection that he would never have with Elena, even though he loved her. And they had an unspoken rule that if someone harmed one of them, the other would give misery and possible death to whoever harmed one of them. After what Kai had done to her, the doctors didn't know when she'd wake up. However, he knew her well. She'd fight to the end, whether it was worth it or not, and he'd always admired that about her. She had fire like he did.

"Katherine, I need you to wake up," he gently said. "If you can hear me, open your eyes. I know you've been through hell. I'm sorry. It's my fault. I'm the one that ripped his head off. I just need you to heal and wake up for me."

I just wanna hear you

Saying, "Baby, let's go home."

"Let's go home"

Yeah, I just wanna take you home

Hold on, I still want you

Come back, I still need you

A few weeks or so later, she woke up and was just fine, so Damon took her home with him. After that, they later made up with one another from the past. After making up, they got back together.