The Wreck

Summary: Set in S5, but a different version of the car wreck. When she crashes the car and it starts to ignite fire, will she be able to get out? Can Damon find her and save her in time?

It was a dismal night, as a human Kat sat in the wrecked car, injured, fire having started. She tried to get the door open, but it seemed to be jammed. Sometimes she hated being human. Times like these, she couldn't save herself. She could only hope that Damon would have the heart to save her. After all, he'd tried getting her to go back to the house. Knowing Silas had still been there, she knew it had been a trap. Then she'd gotten into a wreck. Now, it was just a guess of what would kill her first. Her wounds or the fire.

About half an hour after Silas left when they both knew something was wrong, Damon left to go find her, hoping she was okay. If she was hurt, it was his fault. Not hers.

About twenty minutes later, he found his wrecked and on fire car, Katherine still in the driver's side.

In an instant, he was at her side of the car. The door was crinkled and jammed though, so he forced it open with some vamp strength. He then gently picked her up in his arms and blurred a distance away, before gently laying her down on the ground.

He looked down at her, which was when he saw her wounds. There was blood on either side of her head, her right hand was a little burnt, and a shard of glass had opened her thigh artery. He could also see that she was pale from blood loss.

He took his jacket off and the shard of glass out of her leg. He then used it to tie around her leg artery, before rested a hand on the side of her face.

"Katherine, can you hear me?" he called, knowing she was still alive. This was his fault, he knew. She just wanted to live.

After a moment, he gently picked her up and blurred to the hospital with her.

Several hours later, after surgery, he was seated on her bedside, knowing that she'd be okay now. However, he wasn't leaving her, knowing that Silas was still out to get her. He assumed it was because she had the cure in her, but also because she was a doppelganger. After all, he knew now that doppelgangers were used for a lot of things, because their blood was special. He was willing to protect her, though. Not just because Silas wanted her, though. Even though he loved Elena, he would always, deep down, love Katherine. She'd been his first love, after all.