Shattered (Datherine)

Summary: Set in S2 "The Return" and "As I Lay Dying," as well as S5 "I Know What You Did Last Summer." Based on Trading Yesterday's song "Shattered."

*The Return*

Yesterday I died, tomorrow's bleeding

Fall into your sunlight

The future's open wide, beyond believing

To know why, hope dies

Losing what was found, a world so hollow

Suspended in a compromise

It was a dismal night, as Damon stood a short distance from his sire. A few moments ago, they'd been making out. Then he'd called a time out, finally getting his wits back.

"I have a question. Answer it and it's back to rockets and red glare. Answer it right and I'll forget the last 145 years I've spent missing you. I'll forget how much I loved you. I'll forget everything and we can start over. I need the truth just this once. We have time. See, that's the beauty of eternity."

She stood just inches in front of him, as she said, "Stop. I already know the question and its answer."

He rested hands on either side of her head, waiting for her answer.

She looked at him, telling him, "The truth is, I've never loved you. It was always Stefan." Then, as her words sunk in, she took his hands away from her head, before slowly walking away, hating that she had to lie to him just to keep him safe from the threat coming to town. Klaus.

*As I Lay Dying*

The silence of this sound, is soon to follow

Somehow, sundown

And finding answers

Is forgetting all of the questions we called home

Passing the graves of the unknown

As reason clouds my eyes, with splendor fading

Illusions of the sunlight

And a reflection of a lie, will keep me waiting

It was a dismal night, as Damon lay in bed, dying from the werewolf bite. He was pretty close to dying now, he knew, but throughout this whole ordeal, he'd hallucinated about the past with Katherine. He knew why, too. Despite him hating her for telling him that she never loved him, he and Katherine would always be connected, no matter what. And as he grew closer to dying with each moment, he suddenly felt something go down his throat, though he couldn't move at the moment. He knew it was blood, but he could also feel that it was working the way it was supposed to, which meant that he was being saved.

When he opened his eyes, feeling better, he saw Katherine standing at his bedside, a vial in hand, one hand on the side of his face.

"You came back," he stated.

"I owed you one," she told him, before giving him a pat on the side of the face. Then she left the room, letting him try and decipher on his own what she'd meant by that.

*I Know What You Did Last Summer*