Near Death Experience

Summary: Set in season 3 somewhere. What if Katherine had come back sometime after "All My Children", when Elena said something she didn't mean to Damon, which had hurt him and he had gone to the bar to get drunk? What if Katherine went to the Mystic Grille and saw him drinking? Will she be of comfort, or will she use it as an advantage? What if they get into danger? Will they live? Will they die?

Previously On The Vampire Diaries

(Damon and Elena are at Klaus' mansion having an argument)

Elena: So now you're mad at me?

Damon: I'm mad at you because I love you.

Elena: Well, maybe that's the problem.

(Damon looks hurt)

Elena: No. That's not what I meant. I...

Damon: No. I get it, Elena.

(Elena watches as he disappears through the crowd, feeling horrible about what she had just said to Damon.)

Present

It was a dark night, as Damon Salvatore sat at the bar at the Mystic Grille, shot glass of Tequila in hand. He was on his third refill. To him, drinking was the best way to get rid of the pain. He would have a hell of a hangover in the morning, but it would be worth it. That was how he thought.

When Katherine Pierce walked in and saw him, she walked up to him and sat down on a stool beside him.

"What are you doing here?" he asked her.

"Caring enough to come over to you and keep you company."

"I don't think so. If there's anything I learned about you over the years, it's that you always want something."

"Not this time. I'm here for you. I want nothing in return."

Later that night, Damon and Katherine were still there when everyone else had gone home. They were the only ones there.

Suddenly, Katherine sensed danger. As soon as she did, she pushed Damon, making him land behind the counter, making sure he wasn't in danger.

As she turned to see the enemy, a shot rang out. She was shot in the arm but obviously healed. She saw who it was. Trevor. One of Klaus' brothers. The one who had helped her escape, because he had loved her. But in the end, she had used his love for her to escape. Now she realized that he hated her. He hated her so much he wanted to hurt her. Maybe kill her. Maybe this was what it was. A slow, painful death.

Trevor aimed again and shot her several times, which caused pain and she stumbled. Then he shot her several more times, once again, and she fell onto the floor on her back.

Damon watched all of this from where he was behind the counter. As soon as she had fallen, he ran at him at vampire speed and grabbed his arm, twisting it, making him drop the gun. Then he pinned him against a wall, hand tightly around his throat.

Katherine saw this before closing her eyes, feeling weak and drained.

Damon, at vampire speed, through Trevor and then broke a chair leg. Before Trevor could recover, he staked Trevor with the wooden leg.

Damon knelt down beside his sire. He felt from the sire bond that she was dying.

"Katherine. Kat, can you hear me?" he asked gently, trailing a gentle hand down the side of her face.

As he looked down at her she looked so pale, fragile, and weak. Her eyes were closed, and her head rolled to the left side. And there were so many wounds. She had been shot in the arm, stomach, chest, left side of her neck, and her left shoulder.

He gently slid his arm under her neck and lifted her head. He then bit his wrist and put it to her lips, positioning her head back so his blood would go down her throat.

After thirty minutes, she started to drink freely and grabbed hold of his arm gently, for she was still weak.

After the feeding was done, he picked her up carefully and carried her out, heading home, her head resting on his shoulder with her arms gently around his neck.