Awake and Alive

Summary: Set in S5. Based on the song "Awake and Alive" by Skillet.

*I Know What You Did Last Summer*

I'm at war with the world and they

Try to pull me into the dark

I struggle to find my faith

As I'm slippin' from your arms

It's getting harder to stay awake

And my strength is fading fast

You breath into me at last

I'm awake and alive

Now I know what I believe inside

It's my time

I'll do what I want 'cause this is my life

Here (right here), right now (right now)

It was a nebulous night, as Katherine sat in the driver's seat of Damon's car, human and injured, trying to stay awake, but she knew it was useless. Everything was going black and it all seemed so far away. She'd tried running, knowing Damon wanted to hand her over to Silas. She knew he had to have had a reason, but she would never know what that reason was. She'd never get the chance to say goodbye or to tell him the truth about her feelings for him, either.

Half an hour later, after making up his mind to look for her, he spotted his wrecked car. He could see her still inside and he could smell blood. By the smell, he knew she was injured but hoped he could save her. This was all his fault. He'd broken his promise to protect her. She'd ran because of it.

He blurred to her side of the car and forced the door open. He then assessed her condition, scanning for what her wounds were. He saw her lower stomach and thigh bleeding, along with blood on either side of her head. He could hear her barely breathing and her heart slowing. He knew it was from her wounds.

He gently pulled her out of the wreck, in his arms, and layed her down. He knew she needed the hospital, but also knew she probably wouldn't make it in time. As he made that assessment, he heard everything stop altogether. He knew he had to bring her back, whether he hated her or not. She'd been right. A part of him didn't want her to die.

He kissed her, giving her air, and then began heart compressions, trying to revive her.

"Come on, Katherine. Breathe. Come back to me. You're a survivor. You always survive. Please, Katherine. Now is not the time to give up or be stubborn."

Ten minutes later, she began to wake up, coughing.

"Damon," she half-whispered with blurry and dim vision.

"Hey. Welcome back," he said, before gently pulling her into his arms and getting to his feet with her in his arms. As he did, she rested her head on his shoulder and wrapped her arms weakly around his neck.

"Stay with me," he said, before blurring to the hospital.

A few minutes later, he got her to the hospital and she was rushed down the hall with a breathing mask on.